You are here
The EURO-SKI is a multicenter open label, uncontrolled trial estimating the persistence of molecular remission in Chronic Myeloid Leukemia (CML) patients after stopping Tyrosine Kinase Inhibitor (TKI). Main goal is the assessment of the duration of major molecular response (MMR) or better after stopping TKI therapy.
Patients who started treatment with imatinib (Gleevec) when they were first diagnosed with CML, then switched to nilotinib (Tasigna) for at least 2 years with the combined time on imatinib (Gleevec) and nilotinib (Tasigna) for at least 3 years and have very small amount of leukemia cells remaining after the nilotinib (Tasigna) treatment will qualify for the study.
This study is currently recruiting participants
Verified: March 2014 by European LeukemiaNet
Information provided by (Responsible Party): European LeukemiaNet
Sponsor: European LeukemiaNet
Secondary goals include
- Identification of clinical and biological factors affecting the persistence of complete molecular remission after stopping TKI (e.g. level of Complete molecular remission (CMR), risk score, duration of TKI treatment, type of TKI pretreatment)
- Evaluation of quality of life (QoL) in patients stopping TKI
- Evaluation of medico-economic impact of stopping TKI
- Estimating the number of patients in CMR who are eligible for stopping TKI therapy by setting up a screening log
- Time to recovery of CMR There will be no randomised comparison. Based on the experience of the STIM trial (Mahon et al., Lancet Onc 2010) we expect an overall six-month molecular-relapse-free survival probability of at least 40%. An interim analysis will be performed after a pilot phase where 200 patients have been observed for at least six months. Formally, it is planned to test the null hypothesis H0: Six-month molecular relapse-free survival probability P ≤ 40% against the alternative hypothesis H1: Six-month molecular-relapse-free survival probability P > 40%. Eligible are adult CML patients in chronic phase on TKI treatment in CMR for at least one year (> 4 log reduction of BCR-ABL transcripts on IS, TKI treatment for at least 3 years, confirmed by a PCR within a standardized CMR laboratory).
- Clinical and biological monitoring will be performed during 3 years: Associated scientific projects are performed. Recruitment period: 2 years; follow up: 3 years. Planned patient recruitment in main phase: n=500.