You are here

Operating kidney stones

Hey everyone, my mom is a CML patient since 2015, she is taking 400 mg imatinib daily. Recently she had renal pains, as it turned out the reason are  the kidney stones. The urologist advised operation as the stones are hard, pretty large (0.5-0.6 mm) and are located in the lower renal calyx. Did anyone had any experience with operating kidney stones? What would you advise? Lots of thanks

I assume by "operation" you mean ultrasound. No sense cutting into the Kidney if ultrasound can work:

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/kidney-stones/treatment/

Extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy (ESWL)

ESWL is the most common way of treating kidney stones that can't be passed in the urine.

It involves using ultrasound (high-frequency sound waves) to pinpoint where a kidney stone is. Ultrasound shock waves are then sent to the stone from a machine to break it into smaller pieces, so it can be passed in your urine.

ESWL can be an uncomfortable form of treatment, so it's usually carried out after giving painkilling medication.

You may need more than one session of ESWL to successfully treat your kidney stones. ESWL is up to 99% effective for stones up to 20mm (0.8in) in diameter.

Scuba - many thanks, v helpful and releaving info!

0.6 MM or CM?    0.6 mm is consider a very small stone, whereas a 4+ mm stone is large and harder to pass.  

I had shock wave lithotripsy for a 5mm stone lodged in the ureter (tube between kidney and bladder) and causing severe pain. I was out under anesthesia. Woke up feeling like I was punched in the back.   

A percutaneous nephrolithotomy is a surgical procedure to remove very large stones and does involve an incision.  

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/kidney-stones/diagnosis-t...

My father had a kidney stone in about 1974 or 5. He had surgery to remove it - from memory (they kindly let him take it home and I have a vague recollection of seeing it..) it was a few mm in size. Very painful and as I say, he had to have it surgically removed.

I also had a kidney stone, in 1990 (nothing to do with my CML as this was many years before).  This was also very painful but it "passed" naturally - I had to drink a lot to flush it out but it suddenly went... It must have been very small (despite the pain it caused) - and surgery was never discussed, nor anything other than the natural way.

Both episodes were linked to a combination of slightly high uric acid levels - which I suppose must have been genetic in some way - and poor hydration at the time: my dad's happened early on in our life in a very hot climate; and mine after a day of very vigorous exercise followed by rehydration with beer, which doesn't work.... I know we both subsequently adjusted our hydration habits...

Thread continued from: 
kidney stones again!!!