You are here

Day 4 on Imatinib

Today is my fourth day of this journey we all are sharing. I am very optimistic and thankful to be diagnosed with a condition that has had such success in treatment possibilities. I have read everything I could find on the internet but am so new that I’m not familiar with a lot of the terms and abbreviations.

This forum is most appealing to me and I look forward to following everyone’s situations. I decided from the initial diagnosis that I would rather not hear war stories from neighbors and friends as many are not CML and there are so many types of leukemias. Knowing that we are all going through the same experience is assuring that the information is accurate.

My first question is: How soon do side effects begin?

Terms and abbreviations - we have you on this!  https://cmlsupport.org.uk/glossary

Thought we’ve set the site up so that most terms and abbreviations are underlined. You can hover on them (desktop) or press (mobile) and it’ll give you the definition. For example, The word CML should be underlined in this sentence.

Side effects vary by type and person, there’s no easy answer. You might be one of the many lucky ones that don’t get many or any. There are a lot of people like this. They tend to get on with their life and don’t post on internet forums saying how well they are feeling - but they really do exist! 

I would recommend you read our Patient Primer. It does get quite detailed, but just read as much as you can understand and you can come back to it later. The first 10-15 pages should be fairly understandable. 

You’ll find it here: https://cmlsupport.org.uk/node/20097

David. 

It’s accessible under the “Patient Info” then “Glossary” section too. 

I’m planning a bit of a refresh of the Patient Inso section anyway - there’s lots of great content in the PCR guide that needs to be on the main site. Between work and twins, finding the time is the hard bit!

You’ve done an outstanding job and are providing a great service to those of us who didn’t know what CML was last month.

Thanks!

I agree with Scuba.   Davids Post should be a sticky at the top of the forum as a beginners guide, perhaps with a link to the creation of a new thread to enable the newbie to introduce themselves.