You are here

Pomegranate juice

Anyone know of any issues with gleevac and pomegranate juice?

i was told no by the pharmacist at MD Anderson.  i remark that I thought it was only grapefruit and he said also pomegranate and seville oranges...which is used to make orange marmalade.  Stopped drinking 100% cranberry juice because it can lower blood platelet counts.  Use to enjoyed it with fresh lemon and mint on ice.

Steff

Pomegranate juice can cause problems with TKIs, but you’d have to have a fair amount of it and almost all pomegranate juice you buy actually has a very low % of pomegranate. So it’s unlikely to be an issue really, unless you drink a fair bit of genuine pomegranate juice.  

Even POM “100%” pomegranate juice is not what is says. It’s made from concentrate. 

There has been much less study of it compared to grapefruit juice, but from limited studies it does appear that actual pomegranate juice can cause similar issues that grapefruit juice does. The reason is interaction with an enzyme called CYP3A4 - google “pomegranate CYP3A4” if you want to read more.

Seville oranges are a simple one. They are very bitter and you would never eat (or drink) one, unless cooked and made into marmalade. I am told the cooking process denatures much of it, so it’s not a problem at all. And even if it was, how much marmalade can one person eat?!

David.