You are here

Quick question friends,re Sprycel reduction

Hi Tanya from Australia here hope yr all ok.Saw Haemotologist today,am undetectable again,however she is most reluctant to drop dosage but I persisted:) She is not willing for me to halve tablets,or give me 20mg Sprycel,however she said I can go 50mg every 2nd day.Will this be as effective?Mainly addressing this to Scuba however anyone’s input greatly appreciated.Thank you.

You can certainly try 50 mg every other day as a way to lessen side effects, but 50 mg every 2nd day is not the same as 25 mg every day. It doesn't work that way. Sprycel metabolizes very quickly in the body - 1/2 of it is gone in 3 - 5 hours. It is better to have a regular 'lower' daily dose than a double dose many hours later given the pharmacokinetics of the drug. This is what was told to me by my oncologist who is an expert in the field. A lower dose lowers the side effects profile.

Given that you are undetectable, you have little to zero risk in trying 20 mg daily and test that you hold your status. Suggest to your doctor 20 mg is often prescribed to patients who are undetectable with success. I am one of them. But you can certainly try 50 mg every other day.

Thanks heaps for that Scuba.She won’t prescribe me 20 mg tabs so may try splitting 50mg ones.You are so knowledgeable in these matters and am grateful:)

The 50s are totally splittable - they’re a nice oval shape so with a pill cutter dead easy to splice I reckon. I agree with Scuba that 20mg every day would be preferable to 50 every other day. The every other day schedule is usually used to attenuate side effects and give your body a longer break between doses.

David.

Thanks David,am going to try that then,splitting the pills.Am so glad I asked!This is a great site!