You are here

Advice. Questions.

Hi. I hope it isn’t inconsiderate to post in here without a diagnosis. I’m just curious if anyone has any advice for me. I started having bone and joint pain in the middle of December. It’s gotten worse and now I’m starting to feel very weak in my muscles and just super tired all the time. My doctor did blood work and all that came back was an elevated MPV and an elevated eosinophil count. He didn’t seem concerned and wanted to send me to a physical/rehab doctor since one of my only symptoms is bone pain. Is it concerning to have those both elevated or is it nothing since my other blood work came back normal? In October I did have some blood work done and I had an elevated MPV, eosinophil, RBC, globulin, and my liver is enlarged. Again no one seemed concerned. When I googled these counts CML came up so I’m just on here asking for advice. Concerning? Not concerning? The bone pain is getting worse. It was just in my lower back and femur and shin bones but now it’s in all my joints. 

Hello Ashbryant. I did some searching on your symptoms and I can well see how you considered CML to be one of the possibilities. Sooner or later with CML you would be seeing a rise in the white blood count and in the neutrophil count.

At this stage, CML is probably a very remote possibility. You would eventually experience an enlargement of the spleen. CML may have no symptoms at all in its early stages. In my case, I did have quite serious night sweats and an increasing white blood count.

The problem with the compulsive Googlers, like myself, is that they will discover unlikely possibilities. For now, CML is probably unlikely.

Thank you for your response! I do have an enlarged spleen and an enlarged liver but my white blood count has been fine. The last time my neutrophil was checked was October and it was right on the edge of the reference range. Praying they figure out what it is soon. 

I well understand the Googling mentality but it can lead to some very wrong conclusions. Nonetheless, I would keep a check for any increase in your white blood count and neutrophils. I did self diagnose myself but I had rather more information.

CML is a rare disease - worldwide about 0.7 - 1.0 person in 100,000. In the U.S. last year about 8500 new cases were diagnosed.

The odds you have CML from your symptoms alone are low. Very low. Instead, elevated white blood cells and bone/joint pain could suggest an infection of some sort. The only way further testing for CML makes sense is if your white blood cell count went through the roof ...i.e. WBC > 20,000. That kind of level is indicative of a blood disorder - and then can only be confirmed with a test specific to CML. You're not there.