You are here

When do side effects typically kick in (Sprycel/Dasatinib)

Categories:

Hi All,

I finally started my treatment 2 days ago with 100mg of Dasatinib and 300mg Allopurinol since last week. 

Obviously like most of you I’m just waiting around waiting to feel something though trying not to to avoid psychosomatic symptoms as well 😀

So far just a little bit of intermittent nausea but that was from the Allopurinol. I wouldn’t expect anything after 2 doses so I’m just curious how long it usually takes to ‘kick in’ and side effects to commence. I’m a 38 year old, fit female if that makes any difference.

Or would you all advise not even asking that question and just experience them if they come and be joyful if they don’t? 

It's totally possible you will have none, or only very mild ones! I think you are spot on - take it as it comes, and be very happy if you have no issues 🙂.

David.

Hi there

David's advice is, as always, spot on! I had absolutely no side effects on Sprycel apart from thinning hair, which soon cleared up, and I loved being on the drug as I felt great.

Sadly, though, I had some late side effects of lymph node swelling that happened two years into diagnosis and this ultimately forced me to stop the drug. But this is a really rare complication of Sprycel and I only know of one other patient that experienced this. So while some late side effects do occur, I think they are the exception rather than the rule!

I wish you everything of the best.

Martin

Hi there,

As others have said take it as it comes. I had some side effects kick in within days and others that took months and unfortunatly years to rear their heads.

You're spot on with the psychosomatic you can definatly bring stuff on too. I always say it also depends on how self aware you are as a person. I am very self aware and I notice every minor thing that others may not.

The less you have the better and that they are the milder ones that dont effect your quality of life too much. I do believe good hydration helps with a lot of them and a balanced diet and exercise.

Like you I considered myself to be fairly fit with lots of running and weight training before diagnosis. Unfortunatly I have had the late onset of painful shins and calves only when I run for 10 mins or more. This is one the those side effects I could do without because exercise is wonderful not only for physical health but more so mental, but this is limiting that drastically. I find if I run for 20 mins and alternate 2mins run 2mins walk I can manage 20 mins but I could never complete more than that. Gone are the days of 10k runs on my lunch break :-(

Wish you all the best

Alex

Thanks all for your replies! I really appreciate it. I’ve started now for about 2 weeks and have definitely had a few side effects about 5 days in. I started getting really loud pounding heart which really worried me so I went to the emergency department just to be sure. EKG and all that are clear but I can definitely feel my heart in my chest which I never have before. A few gym sessions (with a heart rate monitor on) have been a challenge as well. 

Another unusual one is I’ve had pain behind my eyes and in my eye sockets, like they’re heavy or bruised. I’ve also had really severe muscle pains in the middle of the night but I can’t tell if that’s just my normal post workout tight muscles or a side effect.

End of the day, all manageable and I’m chugging along but I definitely don’t feel awesome. My first blood test is in a few weeks so let’s see!

Thanks again for your support, this forum is a godsend especially I think in these early months.