You are here

Blood donation - not possible ?

Categories:

Seems like basic question, but i guess cml patients cant donate blood?

That is correct. Virtually all countries will not allow donation of any body part from a CML patient (I don't know of any that do).

I also checked on this issue for the UK. Blood donation is not permitted for CML. The donation of body parts for use by others is not permitted. The donation of the body upon death for use by medical students is permitted. The University of Leicester, for instance, would in principle accept my body on death but only if it weighs less than 80 kg.  

Omg, in order to be medically useful after death i have to watch my weight :-o

Life's hard enough :D

Wow! I had no idea there was a weight limit, I would have thought all shapes and sizes would be medically interesting, one way or another.

80kg is not a lot … I barely scrape into that and I’m far from the biggest guy you’d meet.

David.

David I guess this is a health & safety consideration for the medical students moving the body about. From some of the descriptions of friends who were medical students in the 1970s this requirement  was not in place then.

I was told cornea donation was acceptable. No?

Yes, it is health and safety. At 85 kg, I would be excluded. However, patients often lose weight prior to death. The University of Birmingham did not even respond to my letter. It is also necessary to live close to the hospital concerned. I gather that supply (even prior to COVID) must exceed demand.