You are here

High Potassium Levels - What Causes it?

Categories:

I just found out my potassium level is high and was told to start a low-potassium diet. Two questions for the group:  (1) Does anyone know if this is likely related to my taking Sprycel or just part of having CML in general? (2) Is anyone on a low potassium diet and have any recommendations?  This lists of high potassium foods seem to cover everything from broccoli to avocados to nuts to scallops.  Are there foods with no potassium?  Any color would be greatly appreciated. 

Hi,

exactly how high is your potassium level? A healthy range is between 3.5 and 5.0 mmol/L. Hyperkalemia, or high potassium, occurs when the level of potassium in your blood goes above this range. Apparently certain drugs can cause raised levels but maybe not TKIs?

Most people don’t need to adopt a low potassium diet as the kidneys can usually filter excess potassium from the body so maybe you could try and increase the amount of water (plain or sparkling) which will support your kidney function. Also, sodium bicarbonate (small pinch in water) may help your kidneys-

Sandy

Hi Sandy!  Thank you for the response... I am north of 5.0 mmol/L, hence the low potassium diet. I am not on any other medications other than Sprycel and am generally in good health - except for the CML.  I pulled up my old pre-CLM, pre-Sprycel bloodwork and my potassium was pretty consistently caround 4.0 mmol/L.  I have been on Sprycel for about 1-1/2 months now.