You are here

Flu jab in UK

Hi All in UK,

It is flu jab time and some GPs are geared up some maybe not.I had mine done yesterday at my local Boots which is free if you are over 65, have certain conditions or in certain risk occupations-otherwise a small charge.Other pharmacy groups may offer a similar service.

The product leaflet described it as Fluad -Tetra brand and inactivated (not live),surface antigen,adjuvanted.

I am not sure if over 65 s will be offered this brand and other age groups another one ?

The other interesting thing worth posting is the advice by the pharmacist that one should wait 7 days before thinking of having a third dose or booster Covid jab.

I found side effects to be very minimal.

Regards

John

Had mine at GP surgery last Saturday at 4pm and by 7 pm my arm was aching. An early reaction, I thought, - but no pain at all in arm when woke up on Sunday so very short lived. Our surgery is doing Covid Jab 3 6 months after Jab 2 (Oct for me) and then another 6 months after Jab 3 I get the booster (April 2022). Mid Devon seems very up to speed with the jabs. Am about to book a Shingrix non live shingles jab next.  

Hope everyone else finds booking the jabs as easy.....

Best

Chrissie

Thanks Chrissie for the update -very useful.

In my area Surrey Heartlands CCG it seems take up of  Covid vaccines is down  because of fuel issues so now it is possible to walk in to some vaccination centres to ask for third jab or booster as long as one has a 6 month gap since jab 2 was given.I dont know if this applies to other areas of UK or whether one has to wait and make an appointment etc

John

NHS website says there is no need to have a gap between the flu jab and covid jab but they should be put in opposite arms. I had my flu jab today and hopefully my 3rd jab will be given on Monday.  I think the gap between the two is old advise based on last year when research into interaction was not complete.

Thanks Christine for this .Also I have seen other reports that in the future even combined (Covid plus flu) doses are deemed to be safe

John

Hi John,

I was sent a text from my GP to book in for the flu Jab (I had that last Monday ) I asked about the Covid-19 Booster they said it was the NHS that would be sending information out regards this. 

I received a text from NHS on Thursday although it mentioned my GP's name and asked me to book in I filled in the details NHS no DOB etc it replied I wasn't due the booster . My 2nd dose of Covid-19 was 02.04.21 which made it 6 months to the day Sat 02.10.21. I tried today 03.10.21 ( The recording under 119 which asks you to ring if you are having trouble booking an appointment.) This now states to book the booster 6 months and 1 week after the last vaccine. 

I hope this helps.

I live in the Gtr Manchester area.

That is very strange Patch.  My 2nd was 1st April and the nhs login gave me the option to book 180 days after that ie under 3 calender months. I wasn't aware it varied by postcode. I am in a London borough.

I didn't book online after checking i could as that only mentioned the booster with the 6 month wait.  My gp has booked it as a 3rs primary.   

Hello All,

I don’t understand why I haven’t been able to book my 3rd booster covid, my second one was early April and I have only been able to book my flu shot but not until next week as there was a delay on supplies  (I live in London) I have called 119, a few weeks ago as I thought those with any type of blood cancer including CML were to be offered a 3rd shot that was announced in September I believe. I asked if I was to wait until I get contacted in the over 50’s cohort… she said the CEV were separate to the over 50’s program. My consultant was unsure, but thought I would get called 6 months after the 2nd.. which is now! But I can’t get it booked. The NHS booking says not yet.. I did receive a text through GP to book, then another to say it was a mistake and to early!
I feel a little confused.. and somewhat worried really, as I’m trying to go back to ‘normal’ whatever normal is these days.. but would’ve felt more reassured with the booster shot in my arm! Has anyone else found booking the booster shot difficult?

kindest to you all 

Michelle 

has 

Hi, when I went for my flu jab last week then they gave me an appointment for my booster ,the nurse also said a few weeks after my booster I should have a pneumonia jab too .Denise.

Michelle,

I think that the system is far from perfect and varies across the country.

If you had you first jab done via your GP  and also then in a booking system via  a third party (under contract to NHS )   as opposed directly with NHS then it might explain your present situation.

This applied to me so the  NHS will not let me book a booster now and for reasons unknown I am not being contacted by my GP.

If you have a walk in centre near you then that might be the way forward.

Re Nimbus and your pneumonia jab if you have not had this it is a good idea to go for it;apparently it lasts for lifetime or similar and  there is no need to have it again or take another one perhaps for many years.

Regards

John

Hi Christine,

Thank you for your reply.

I only mentioned the area I lived in just in case it did have anything to do with area.

I rang my GP to say I do have CML and we are being told we really do need to have the booster ASAP. 

The receptionist said its 6 months and 7 days, that's the message on the recording when you ring 119.

its so frustrating when I received the text last week to book. I have to try and book on the

9th / 10th October.

Hi Michelle,

Yes, totally agree its such a worry, word is we maybe in the group were we may not have the same protection.

Hi Michelle,

Yes, totally agree its such a worry, word is we maybe in the group were we may not have the same protection.

Thank you All!

I have managed to book the booster but as it’s exactly 6 months and 7 days since my second jab, I assume I’m in the over 50’s booster cohort. 
I believe as John mentioned it was organised through the GP community, 119 was not able to help me at all, actually the person I spoke to was rude and reading text to me from the JCVI, not interested at all in the actual query/concern I had. He kept saying I wasn’t eligible, even though I was at the 6 month date.. so annoying! 
finally spoke to a receptionist at my GP who was quite helpful and said she would have a word with her colleague… later on that day is got a text to book my booster. 
I had my flu jab at boots this week so hope I will have some protection this winter!

kindest Regards  

Michelle 

Hi Michelle,

I'm so glad you have got the booster booked in.

Keep safe everyone

Yvonne