You are here

Vitamin D regulates microbiome-dependent cancer immunity

Just published study reinforces the connection between adequate vitamin D levels and anti-cancer properties

https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/science.adh7954

Vitamin D regulates microbiome-dependent cancer immunity

In humans, low vitamin D levels were correlated with tumor development, and gene signatures of vitamin D activity were associated with improved patient responses to immunotherapy. These findings highlight the connection between vitamin D and the immune system through gut bacteria and may have applications for improving cancer therapies.

This is important - make sure you have your blood tested for vitamin D. If you are below 60 ng/ml (I maintain mine ~70 ng/ml), you are not getting the maximum anti-cancer (including leukemia) benefit.

Scuba, I've never had my D levels checked, but I have taken a supplement ever since dx on the recommendation of my original hem/onc. I think he recommended 1,000 IU daily and based on my theory of "if a little is good, then..." I have taken 2,000 IU daily for 15.5 years. I've been reading a lot about Vit. D and recently about the difference in gut microbiota in those with classic myeloproliferative neoplasms having specific driver mutations. (CURE, Spring 2024) Interesting stuff!

Pat

I take 5,000 IU's per day in summer and 7500 (5/10 alternating days) in winter. This protocol barely keeps my vitamin D level near 70 ng/ml which is the "sweet" spot for maximum benefit (in regard to cancer).

You should definitely have your D levels checked. You may find your levels are below 50 ng/ml. Let us know if you do.