You are here

Winter 2024 vaccines-UK

Categories:

Just a reminder that those in certain categories
-age related
-condition related such as blood cancers
qualify for Autumn /Winter 2024 Covid vaccines as from 3 October in UK

In addition CML patients might be advised to ensure that their winter flu vaccine is up to date

Those aged 75-79 will also be targeted for the RSV virus vaccine -the respiratory virus that can lead to hospitalisation in some cases.I am not sure if those out of this age group with immune compromised systems qualify or not.

Re Covid- jabs are available via some GPs, selected pharmacies and possibly Walk in centres-check NHS website for information and to book if necessary.Covid is still around and hospital admissions are rising, apparently.

Best wishes
John

Hi John,

I believe there are only two groups of people who are eligible for the RSV vaccine - the group you have highlighted, and anyone pregnant past 28 weeks.

Just having CML is not, as far as I am aware, reason to be eligible for the RSV vaccine.

David.

Hi David
Looking at the leaflet on RSV it does not include the category "these with specific health conditions."

One dose does give protection for a number of years I believe?

I dont know if GPs have the flexibility to agree to offer it to those who may be imuno- suppressed?

Being in the older age category I have just had the RSV vaccine -there was no sore arm but as a reaction I am experiencing some mild symptoms of the virus which are not that pleasant.Apparently it is not a very nice virus to have and older people do get hospitalised and do die from it.

A media article today on BBC news focuses on the take up for the flu vaccine being as low as 45% (declining year by year) and that up to 20,000 persons per annum are dying due to complications from influenza-needlessly.

Regards

John