You are here

Blood test

How long did everyone wait for their first labs after starting TKI?

Which labs?    I was having weekly CBC/CMP testing following diagnosis and starting Sprycel. Once I hit complete hemotalogical response it was every two weeks.  It’s now every three months.   I had a quantitative pcr at 2 months and again at 3 months.  Next is scheduled for 3 months.  

I had my first blood test about 6 weeks after starting a TKI. It was a nerve wracking time to see if they had started to work and somewhere between 1 and 3 weeks I’d hit CHR. All tests/milestones are important and I guess the most important ones are PCR to see a reduction in BCR at 3 months. My appointment is at the end of the month to see if it’s been reduced to <10% which is the expected result. Hoping and praying that happens. Stay positive and I am sure you’ll be in a more comfortable/predictable place.

All the best

Alex

I believe the frequency depends on your Physician. I had CBC every week following hospital release and start on Gleevac.  All ok for 6 weeks when wbc started to rise. Onc phoned me to see if I had missed pills. Continued weekly CBC test until week 11 when BCR ABL  test and visit to Onc.  BCR 36%, Int scale.  They told me I was resistant to Gleevac and was being switched to 100 Sprycel.  Tested for mutations. No mutations.   Continue weekly CBC. Monthly liver function.  At 6 month BCR was at 25%.  CBC normal. I am a turtle or slower.  On Sprycel, weekly CBC blood tests. Low platelets etc. 10 day holiday from Sprycel. Now 80 mg Sprycel, weekly CBC.  Waiting for 9 month BCR. Nervous. Have been told it might be a year before I reach low PCR . As long as trend is downward.  Wish I had the usual pattern.  I am grateful that I am so closely followed. Mayo Clinic, Minnesota.  Gitel

Yes, sounds as if you have fantastic care:) Thank you for the info! Be well, Dawn