You are here

Is it safe to take K2 with D3 when on Nilotnib

Categories:

Hi all,

Is it safe to take K2 with D3 when on Nilotnib?

What would be recommended daily dose? Please the brand name too.

Kindly suggest.

I take 4,000 iu's per day of D3 and have my blood levels checked every 6 months - most recent level was 63 and I'm pretty happy with that.  Herre's what I take:

https://www.vitacost.com/vitacost-vitamin-d3-mini-gels-1000-iu-365-softg...

I only take a vitamin supplement if I cannot get it naturally.  I too am on Tasigna and so must stay out of the sun or use sunscreen so I am not getting enough D naturally through sun exposure, thus I take the supplement.

I do not take K2 supplement since I get enough through diet, mainly fermented foods and:

natto, fermented soy
goose liver
cheese
egg yolks
dark chicken meat
butter

Best I have been able to tell, D3 and K2 are safe to take with Tasigna, although my onc told me he wouldn't take K2, but he didn't "prohibit" me from taking it if I wanted to.

Interestingly .... I found that when I was on Gleevec initially at diagnosis, I could not develop a tan. When I switched to sprycel and especially very low dose sprycel, I was able to tan again. I do not use sunscreen preferring to use hats or cotton to protect from the sun until a deep tan develops.

Regarding K2 - Vitamin K2 (one of several vitamins in the "K" family) is vital for mobilizing calcium from soft tissues (organs/arteries) into bone where it is stored until needed. Vitamin K2 works hand in hand with vitamin D. Vitamin D is required for the body to absorb calcium from diet and get calcium into the blood stream. Vitamin K2 is needed for carboxylation reactions which move calcium to where it needs to go. Without K2, vitamin D can contribute to hardening of the arteries. Without vitamin D, K2 doesn't work and bones weaken. Vitamin D should stay below 100 ng/ml and ideally around 50-70 ng/ml for optimal health. Vitamin D is also vital for immune system activation. Vitamin K2 does not have a known upper limit (not stored in the body); I supplement with 200 mcg per day along with eating fermented foods (Natto). Once I started a K2 program, my neck artery scans which were showing significant calcium deposits completely reversed. I have arteries of a 20 year old now. I'm convinced in the power of D and K2 working together. And helps your TKI do its job. And hopefully lead to the elimination of a TKI in the future. You can't get enough of K2, but you can get enough of D. Keep that in mind.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9177427

https://www.uspharmacist.com/article/the-emerging-role-of-vitamin-k2

(p.s. The fact your Onc would not take vitamin K2 says a lot about the knowledge level of your Onc. He's not alone. Most do not know about K2 or a good many other things related to our disease as well.)

On 100mg Sprycel I could not tan either. But on 50mg, I had no problem. Not that it matters (tan or no tan) but I thought that it was weird and even dangerous. People reported more skin cancer especially with Tasigna.

Key is to avoid sunburns. Sunburning is what can lead to skin cancer. Tanning is the body's way of protecting against sun burns. Studies on vitamin D protecting against skin cancer are mixed. There is no conclusion, but some studies have shown that very low vitamin D status invites higher skin cancer risk. Vitamin D probably helps, but a sun burn is a bad event.

In nature, we are exposed to high sun gradually as winter gives way to summer. So if we are outdoors often during the transition and our skin is exposed to the sun during this time, a tan develops gradually without sun burn occurring as the body prepares for summer. This is normal. However, in our cell phone, office environment, we tend to stay indoors during winter and then suddenly - without a gradual exposure - we pop out into the summer sun for our vacations and burn away.

I make an effort to start tanning in March (northern hemisphere) so that by June when summer sun is most intense I have increased protection. A tan is natures sunscreen. Most of the literature on sun tanning is that it is bad for you. A tan is the result of damage to the skin. I don't believe this. The sun has been above us for 4+ billion years. Humans have been around for a few million. I think nature knows what it is doing to match the sun with life. Drinking too much water can kill you - so too much sun can produce cancer. But in moderation without sunscreen, the sun probably adds to your life.