You are here

Lung problems

Have any of you developed lung problems or had lung conditions exacerbated whilst taking Imatinib or Nilonotib?

i have started to have a worsening problem with a dramatic drop in exercise tolerance and was told that my oxygen on an exercise test are showing levels are dropping below normal levels expected.  I’m now wheezy (noisey chest ) on exertion and when laying down at night.  If it settled down it’s perhaps something I could improve but at the moment it appears to be continually going downhill. 

I am sorry you are going through this side effect.  I hope it gets better and eventually ends altogether.  Its a terrible feeling.  I have very minor but noticeable shortness of breath - the other night after a dinner out with a friend, took walk around the block and by the time we finished 3/4 of the walk I was winded and struggled to get up the hill without a few stops... I am currently on Dasatinib and was on Imatinib in the beginning... these side effects only occurred when on Dasatinib.  I am switching over to Nilotinib next week because the other side effects I have struggled to deal with are chest pains and severe rash/itching episodes.  As a frame of reference I am a 49 yr old male Caucasian US based, 175 lb 5' 10'' height and not really out of shape so the lung thing is troublesome.  Again, I hope you can get that to stop soon.

Dasatinib had the same effect on me.  When I first started at 100mg I was having serious problems even resting.  The dosage was subsequently lowered to 50 then 25mg but the problem persisted.  Dasatinib is a known trigger of pulmonary hypertension so it would probably explain the pain in chest.
Nilonotib is now causing a worsening respiratory problem that feels to be affecting my lungs directly as the pain I was getting with Dasatinib has greatly reduced and is now only a problem when exercising at high levels of intensity.  The main side effects so far on Nilonotib are a large rash, some minor stomach issues, constant fatigue (manageable) and now feeling anxious/depressed.  Luckily so far the debilitating knee pain I was getting on imatinib hasn’t returned, which is a relief!  I’ve also lost over a kilo in weight which I think is primarily muscle mass. Probably due to not getting a proper regime of eating due to the timing of taking meds twice daily.

hopefully you will tolerate Nilonotib well! 🤞