You are here

Stem cell transplant is a definate!

So my daughter is definatly having a stem cell transplant within the next month to 6 weeks. Both imatinib and disatinib have failed to bring the disease under control with both bcr abl and fish results with "still very high numbers" im awaiting an appointment next week to go through the ins and outs of what is to be done and what to expect. With no real information yet ive taken to the internet and am absolutely dreading the whole thing although i do take it with a pinch of salt it seems she is in for a very rough ride. Anyone been through it and come out the other side? After reading in the news that a 10 year old had a successful transplant to then have died within a few months due to a water infection has me absolutely petrified. Granted it was not in the area where my daughter will undergo hers but it still scares me to death. She will turn 13 in the next 2 weeks. As well as the short term am possible complications The longer term effects of being sterile and possibly going through the menopause are particularly worrysome for the future. However i do find that i am comforted by the fact a complete stranger will offer her a part of himself that will im hoping will cure her. They are a complete 10/10 match. Has anyone met or spoken to their doner?

Really sorry to read about you daughters current situation.  It’s hard enough seeing your children have to endure minor ailments so you and all the family must be really going through it!  We all generally tend to dwell too much on the negative side of the information we read so perhaps best to look for positive reports of the successes transplantation can have.

Hoping it all goes well for you all! 🤞

Im watching this as transplantation is looking like my next probable treatment option.

Its tough! But you plod along and get on the best you can. Thankyou very much also hoping if you need one you are matched and all is well in the end. Fingers crossed its a speedy recovery