You are here

Fairly new diagnosis

I was diagnosed November last year and have responded to imatinib Recently symptoms such as night sweats and headaches have returned Is this ok or should I get in touch with my haematologist before next appointment which is late January thanks Jacqui

Hi Jacqui , sorry you have had to join our club, are you drinking lots  water .Enough to flush out all the dead CML cells and to keep hydrated as this will cause headaches if you don't drink enough  .Hopefully it could be as simple as that.Good Luck ,Denise.

Ok thanks for this I don't drink enough water but I will now .Jacqui

Diagnosis is a very scary time. Anxiety can cause night sweets as well as untreated CML. And the meds can cause night sweets I’ve had a couple of bouts over the last 20 months, I told my consultant because it made me paranoid that CML was taking over, he told me not to worry you have long 5 year journey and if you react to every thing you feel/experience you’ll be a mess. Haven’t had one since speaking with him and that was well over a year ago. It could well be anxiety or your meds, you’re responding and you will join the 95% of those who do also.

Also I used to always have headaches on and off for most of my life. Since having CML I’ve not had one because my water intake is so high for taking my TKIs. I do at least one large 2 - 3 litre bottle of water everyday. Not had a headache since. It’s well thought that you need to hydrate well when taking TKIs. So that could be a good start.

Take care

Alex