You are here

Generics

Hi I’ve just started a new generic imatinib by Dr Reddys, it’s the first time I’ve received these. I was wondering if anyone else on here has had them and whether they’ve found them problematic at all? I’m only on my 2nd sleeve (I take 2 capsules a day - so only taken 16 so far)  and have already had 3 cracked capsules. The capsules are large, very hard and brittle and so once I put my nail through the foil I’m finding the powder has leaked out a lot from the capsule and then the actual capsule itself is hard to swallow as it’s jagged. The capsules are already broken before I break the foil. I looked up this pharmaceutical company and they are in trouble with the FDA over numerous issues, such as side effects, not putting the correct amount of the required drug in their supplies and the list goes on. I don’t feel happy trying to continue with them, has anyone else had this sort of problem before? Thanks.

Hi Shayner,

Given what you say about the generic you have been prescribed, I would recommend you talk to your doctor about trying a different brand of generic if possible. There are many available.

Sandy

Thanks Sandy, I had already decided to ask not to have it again, I’ve got phone consultation next week so I’ll speak to my haemo nurse then and see if they can swap them out straight away, I don’t think it’s ideal to take meds this way! Just wondered if anyone else had had them, the pharmacological company seems really dodgy!