You are here

Pesky eye floaters

Hi all,

I believe I’ve had eye floaters since diagnosis and maybe before diagnosis but not as apparent. And as far as I have read this can be just an age related thing, but I did find a link that suggests that eye floaters are a part of the CML condition. I’ve tried to count them but as you prob know your eyes move and then you have to recount. It’s mainly noticeable on sunny days and staring at bright background. I feel like I need windscreen wipers for my eyes lol. 

Since diagnosis bloods have been perfect and 18month PCR was @0.1118% so practically MMR. Next test is in April results in May.

I wondered if anyone else has/had these and if they go? I had read TKIs do cause some eye toxicity, and I occasionally suffer with dry/weeping eyes. But this post is about the floaters. Currently on 600mg Nilotinib.

Many thanks

Alex

Yes, I have loads of these. Like you, they're worst on sunny days and bright backgrounds. Hard to count, because as you know as soon as you try to look at one it moves!

They were caused by retinal haemorrhages leading up to diagnosis, so little bits of the retina end up distributed in the vitreous body.

It's super annoying at times, especially when reading and one from each eye overlap which causes me to completely lose focus.

The ophthalmologist at Moorfields Eye Hospital discussed a vitrectomy with me, where they remove the vitreous from your eye (and with it the debris causing the floaters) and replace it with something akin to a saline solution. No way I was going to take on the risks of that for the relatively minor problem the floaters caused.

They certainly haven't improved, and I was told to not expect them to. I don't think they have got any worse, but I have started to notice them a bit more frequently recently.

David.

Thank you David,

That has eased my mind considerably. I thought it would be to do with eye haemorrhages and like you I had a high wbc of 330 at diagnosis so I am guessing it's caused some damage, or the result of TKIs causing the haemorrhages. That I don't know.

Oh well I will just have to put up with them, if they get worse I will speak to the doctor. On dull days its mostly fine, but I work in a bright office and my home is nice and bright too. Bloody frustrating!

I think if I try not to think about them the brain forgets them.

Many thanks for your replies as always mate. And hope you are doing fine too.

Alex

I have floaters since I was a kid!Before two years I went to an ophthalmologist because i thought they were more than before. He told me that everything is OK with my eyes and not to be worried. Last year exactly the same I went to the doctor and everything was fine. I have noticed that if you pay attention to them or you are thinking of them you see them more... These days I see them more frequently but I know why. 😁😁

My line of thought as to why I'm noticing them more now is that we are coming out of winter, and it's brighter for longer outside.

Haha yes that could well be it!

Many thanks again

Thanks for your reply mate!

Good to know I am not the only one. I’ll relax a bit more now and just view them as an annoyance!

Maybe that 's why I notice them more David! Nice thought!

Probably harmless as others have said - however, may I ask if you remember what white blood count you were diagnosed with?

I had some issues with neovessels but this is a very rare side effect of CML so likely not your issue. If you had a very high WBC ( 300,000 or higher) it may be worth it to get your retina checked to ensure its just the 'normal' bleeding. 

David : I've been offered a vitrectomy as well but I didnt fancy the sound of it!

Many thanks Eva

I am going to mention it to my consultant in May when I next see him to see what he says/recommends. Yes I had a wbc of 330 at diagnosis and I’ve had floaters since this time, maybe even before but maybe not as many.

It is more of an annoyance more than anything else but yes I should get checked out.

Many thanks

Alex