You are here

Sorry to go on about Vit D3 levels and immunity but......!

Some may be irritated by a few of us on this forum going on and on about the need to supplement with high dose Vit D3 to get your levels up to at least 40-60 ng/ml (100-150 nmol/L)... however, here is another article that may help convince doubters.

https://www.grassrootshealth.net/blog/protective-role-vitamin-d-coronavirus-scientific-review-dose-immunity/

~ Vitamin D is needed to activate T cells, turning naïve T cells into primed T cells that are better able to respond to a pathogen
~ Vitamin D influences T cell differentiation to induce lower levels of inflammatory cytokines and higher levels of anti-inflammatory cytokines
~ Vitamin D regulates the maturation of the dendritic cells, another type of white blood cells, to then modulate helper T cell (Th) function
~ T cells respond directly to active vitamin D by developing regulatory T cells

Sandy

Thanks Sandy for being persistent on this one and also for Scuba and his contributions on the topic because it now seems that there is a body of research developing that suggests that Vitamin D deficiency may be a specific risk for those that contract Covid -19.The best and most simplistic explanation that I have seen is that when one is deficient the innate immune system is blunted and unable to resist the viral attack and it takes a while for the acquired immune system to organise the foot soldiers to fight the attack on the immune system-it goes into overdrive etc.

Some of the presentations on You tube are particularily useful especially the Dr Been medical lectures;I wont post it as these presentations are sometimes taken down as part of the campaign against fake news.If one puts in "Vitamin D and Covid 19" interesting presentations come up on You tube. In addition try "Vitamin D deficiency."

As a result of postings on this forum I decided to get my Vit D levels tested back in February and yes I was way down;I have now rectified it via supplements and lots of sunshine.So mine is a case in point that I have taken on board advice from this forum very much to good effect.

In addition as I tend to avoid some animal products I use a Vitamin B complex that seems to help with the cramps and muscular issues of imatinib and also hopefully will help with the nervous system and my peripheral neuropathy.

I guess that some will accuse us of quackery but as long as supplements are linked to testing for deficiencies then I regard this as useful medical science.

Regards,

John

Hi John,

Yes, I think Vit B complex and B12; Magnesium and selenium and Vit E are also important. D3 is fat soluble so should be taken with high fat meal... or Vit E. The problem with adequate D3  from sun exposure is that we have been avoiding the sun due to fears about skin cancers, so many are now deficient. Sitting in the sun at midday for 15 mins (lighter skinned peoples) and up to 30 mins (darker skinned peoples) will amount to a dose of around 20,000 ng/ml. There is some very good information out there... you just need to know where to access it. As you say Youtube is a good resource. If you take high doses, as I have been doing for some time now, you might want to combine D3 with K2. Also, UK labs tend to give your result in n/mol per litre not ng/ml so you may need to convert your result when you get it. 

Sandy

I echo Sandy's comments 100%.

Additional research is showing T-cell activation and cytokine 'storm' control is maximized at blood levels over 50 ng/ml (but less than 100 ng/ml). Keeping your D level over 50 ng/ml will help protect against virus attack.

Also - for cancer, the ideal level is around 70 ng/ml, which is where I try to keep mine as an upper limit. I achieve this easily in summer, but during winter - even with 10,000 IU's D3 supplementation, my level will fall towards 50 ng/ml. I test my vitamin D status twice per year. I consider testing for vitamin D as important as PCR testing for CML.

Regarding supplementation - I would avoid taking anymore than 10,000 IU's per day (D3) in order to avoid overdosing. Also, by taking vitamin K2 (200 mcg) per day with D3, chances of overdosing is greatly reduced. K2 uses D to carboxylate Calcium in order to remove it from soft tissue and place in bone. D3 + K2 are a "dynamic' duo. Both are fat soluble.

Also - for those who take Curcumin (may need a separate thread?):

Lecithin taken with Curcumin enhances Curcumin's anti-inflammatory effect. As many may know, it is the inflammatory response to Covid-19 infectioni which is dangerous (floods the lungs leading to hypoxia). Coupling D3 with Curcumin (w/Lecithin) may very well provide added protection so that even if you were to get exposed to the virus, you may never experience symptoms or get very sick.

(note: since I have raised my D level to where it is now, I have not had a cold, flu or other respiratory 'anything' despite being sneezed on or around sick people for over 10 years.)

(on a personal note, I will be diving in the Bahamas this week! and expect to get plenty of sun. I won't be taking any D3 during this time - expecting my skin to produce plenty of it on its own)

Sandy, due to the importance of vit D3, I do not think you or Scuba are 'harping' on it too much. I find your information very helpful indeed. My level used to be around 70-75 nmol/L. On 1000IU daily.

After reading your posts and doing a little research online, I have increased the daily dose to 2000IU, and at last reading at the beginning of June, levels went up to 108 nmol/L !

I don't see why anyone should get irritated for being given good advice.

Thank you,

Sunny.

Thanks Sunny,

It's good to hear you have benefitted from the information on D3 shared on this forum and also that you have managed to get your level up by just increasing your daily intake from 1000iu to 2000iu. Do you also include K2 in your formulation?

I am aware that many are not too keen on supplementing their diet with vitamins/minerals etc. Many do not feel so confident and are overly cautious especially when some clinicians, who in general, do not know much about nutrition and supplementation, so sadly they advice against. I would also add that dietary supplements are expensive and so cost is an important issue for many of us.

Personally, supplementing my diet has made such a difference to my overall fitness and health I view it as the best investment I can make and I am more than happy to go without other things.

Sandy

Personally I want to thank Scuba and Sandy for ‘harping on’ about vitamin D3 as I really think it helped me turn a corner with fighting CML. When I asked for my levels to be tested they came back at 12!! So I now take D3 along with K2 daily in the winter months and less frequently in the summer and I am convinced that has made a huge difference to me. So thanks to both of you!!

I don’t eat red meat so I have now bought some vitamin B12 supplements and wondered if anyone has any advice about how frequently I should be taking these?

Take care everyone.

Diane

Thanks Diane, 

12 is pretty low! I really wonder how low mine was at diagnosis, I suspect is was in that kind of region. B12 is also important - I take a liquid supplement once a day. I think if you do not eat red meat, or if you are vegetarian B12 is a must!

Also I take magnesium - again in liquid form as I find it easier to take - and selenium, B complex, extra Biotin (great for hair) and Niacinamide (B3).

Do you know what your D3 level is now that you supplement?

Sandy

Interesting. Since my GP put me on 1,000IU Vit D3 daily, my latest PCR result is 0.0000 (Undetectable) on 300mgs imatinib, for the first time on nearly 11years since dx. Coincidence or not?? She has also put me on folic acid supplement.

Best to all

Chrissie Mortimer

Wow Chrissie... that's impressive whether it's a coincidence or not! Do you know your previous D3 level?

Sandy

Hi Sandy

No I don’t know what my D3 level is at the moment, I am going to ask for it to be tested at my next blood test next month.

I am on Bosutinib and it created problems with my liver at first, had to go on a course of steroids which thankfully sorted things, I also have a low platelet count and these two things make me wary of taking anything that may aggravate this. I eat three Brazil nuts every day which I think contain selenium and I started taking B12 tablet today. Just not too sure when to take it, is it ok to take at the same time as D3 and K2 do you know?

One thing I have found with Bosutinib is that my hair is much thinner, but that is something I am learning to accept and live with.

Diane

No but I will ask my haem on our next phone appt in 2 weeks.

best

Chrissie

Hi Diane,

Vits/minerals are food supplements so most are best taken with a meal. I take all my days supply with breakfast. It's a good idea to get your D3 level tested.

Sandy

Yes in total agreement with you Sandy, thanks for all the information.

David

Thank you again, Sandy, for your ongoing advice.