You are here

Leukemia immuno-therapy "cure" progress update

Car-T cell therapy continues to advance with new trials beginning for Lymphoma/leukemia cancers. The promise of Car-T cell therapy, unlike our TKI therapy, is the permanent elimination of leukemia, essentially a cure. Immuno therapy works by programming a patients own immune cells to recognize and destroy the cancer. Once successful, the T-cells remain as vigilant guards against recurrence. This is what cure looks like.

There is still a ways to go in this research. Nonetheless, it is good to see progress in this exciting area and the fact they are moving into blood  cancers for trials.

It says "Fate Therapeutics will soon initiate a Phase 1 trial investigating its CAR T-cell therapy, FT819, across several B-cell cancers," Does CML comes under B cell cancers ?

B-cell cancers refer to lymphoma. CML is not a B-cell cancer.

Hii scuba..,

Any update miristen 126???

Human trials???

Only information purpose...

Hi scuba,

I had to cross check if indeed it was a similar case, and I think it is: End of January, there was a man here in Greece with ALL which was resistant to chemo, and he was treated with CAR T cell therapy. I read an article at the time and I was amazed at the mechanism.

As I understand this treatment is either lymphoma-relevant, or lymphoblastic-leukaemia-relevant.

Do you know what's the difference in the mechanism, which does not make this treatment myeloid-relevant as well?

Regards,
Koralia

Myeloid cancers are more problematic for CAR T cell therapy, but there may be a way to enhance the benefit in the future.

The university of Besancon is making a Car-T cell therapy for CML. They still  need 25000 euros.

https://www.diaclone.com/documents/misc/cart_poster_diaclone.pdf

https://www.gofundme.com/f/un-nouveau-medicament-pour-guerir-la-leucemie...

"Because CML is a model immune system-sensitive disease, we hypothesize that chimeric antigen receptor (CAR) T cells targeting interleukin-1 receptorassociated protein (IL-1RAP) in quiescent CML stem cells may offer an opportunity for a permanent cure."

The preclinical work can be found here:

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/7870/815d1a51ef84ead7d0675c9e198c0e036d...

I have read the paper with great interest, except that I think that a Car NK cell therapy is more successful because it has a lower risk of graft versus host disease. What they want to do with this, is take t cells from a donor, because your own immune cells are weakened in CML. Because they talk about a "allogenic donor-derived CART cell immunotherapy".

What I understand from the preclinical work, is that not only the stem cells have the IL1RAP receptor, but also a lot of derived cells. So you can theoretically eradicate more cells than the stem cell compartment. IL1RAP is also expressed on the monocyte compartment, but they do not see this as a major clinical problem. They explain this in the preclincal work. They talk about an eradication rate of 94,77% of leukemic cells (not only stem cells)

I already read this. This was a Car-T therapy for CD19. Only for the T315i mutated cells. Not the CML 'root' cells. These cells have IL1RAP as specific antigen. CD19 is not an exclusive marker for CML cells.

The idea is to eradicate the bulk cells with TKI and to wipe out the stem cells with an IL1RAP Car-T cell therapy, so that the CML will not return.

The big problem with a CAR-T cell therapy is to find an exclusive antigen not expressed on healthy cells.  Otherwise, the altered T cells will attack healthy tissue. This is called, on target, off tumor toxicity.

I received the following mail from the researchers last saturday.

"Dear friends and supporters,

It has now been 2 months since we opened the online pot “CanCell Therapeutics: New CART-cell drug to cure Leukemia” to support the development of our drug against Leukemia and cancer.

All of you are very sensitive to this research project, which aims to provide patients with a new chance, many of you have supported this project from the research team of the French Blood Establishment in Besançon.
We have encountered tremendous support from patients, parents, families… through their commitment, their will and their determination, because they are directly or indirectly affected by this disease. In addition, several associations have also largely supported us. All your their support is a real motivation for us.

Many thanks to all

Dr Marina Deschamps & Dr Christophe Ferrand"

any updates on this topic?

for me it is an actual thread

Unfortunately, cancer still occupies a special position in today's world. This is because although they have learned how to treat this disease, there is still no guarantee that there will not be a relapse. Doctors are still successfully treating people despite this, but another problem exists. When someone hears that he has cancer, he feels lost and detached from the world. The thought that they are close to death frightens them and makes them vulnerable. Therefore, the risk of becoming depressed is extremely high. And unfortunately, a large percentage of patients do start to suffer from anxiety disorders. So, in that case, they may need help https://fherehab.com/depression/treatment. I think every person understands himself and knows his psychological state. That is why it seems to me that it must be solved if there is a problem with a psychological condition.