You are here

Taking minoxodil and finasteride for hair loss

Hi, my name is Izham. I am now taking tasigna 400 mg twice daily. Its been 4 years since i’m diagnosed with cml. I’ve been dealing with hair loss for about 2 years which I don’t know whether its the side effects of tasigna or not. I want to ask a question on taking minoxodil and finasteride for my hair loss problem. Does these medications I state above will affect me or tasigna effects if I started taking them?

Hi, Izham. Hope you're fine. hair loss/thinning is a well known side effect of tasigna (i also have this side effect). Minoxidil is fine with tasigna (it's a topycal solution and there's no known interaction with tasigna and some patients also use minoxidil with tasigna with no problems, but very limited good effects on hair loss). I really don't know about finasteride, but it's a pill and it's broken in the liver, so i would talk to my doctor before take this medication. good luck!

Thank you for the response. I will talk to my doctor soon. Sorry for asking, have you done any treatment or solution to overcome hairloss and grow the hair back?

sorry for the late response, but not much. if the cause is the TKI, minoxidil doesn't help that much, but you could try for a couple of months. good luck!

Hey , 

quick question... are u taking the finasteride now ? What did ur doctor say ? 

Hey ,

quick question... are u taking the finasteride now ? What did ur doctor say ? Is it ok to take finasteride ? 

Strongly acting pills  have a lot of negative effects on your health. Your hair structure is very sensitive, so it is important to keep your hair in good condition. I knew I was going to have hair problems because of genetics. My father went completely bald by the age of 38. That's why I keep a close eye on my hair condition. I use olaplex duo and, in addition, various pills that strengthen the hair. I hope to avoid baldness, and my hair will always be amazing.

I stopped minoxidil in 2021. I took it for maybe 6 months but it didnt work and realised that its too expensive at my country. You can try it if the price is reasonable at your country. But remember minoxidil has something like a phase where in the first 3 months you will lose hair very frequently and if you keep on using it, it will grow back much more god willing. You can check on youtube to see some videos to guide you before you decide to use it.  

I use minoxidil (Kirkland brand), finasteride and microneedle my scalp once a week. Im on Dasatinib and my doctor was ok with me taking finasteride. I was able to make drastic improvements from having thinner hair than my dad who is 30 years older than me to now back to having similar thickness to my brothers who are 5 years younger than I am. It does take time, at least 7-8 months before there was a noticeable improvement.  

Interesting discussion about minoxidil.  Is anyone familiar with taking the oral pill?  I just read a New York Times article (8/22?) about dermatologists using a tiny, tiny amount of minoxidil in pill form - off label use - for their patients with hair loss.  They are having good results!  And, of course, it's a lot less messy.  Apparently, it's very cheap.  The dose is not enough to mess with your blood pressure.  It's a very interesting article. 

Way back in 1973-76 I was helping my husband through law school and I took a secretarial job at the university with a research cardiologist whose specialty was hypertension.  He got some funding for his free clinic from the makers of minoxidil.  It was intended for, and was very successful in, hospital cases of malignant hypertension (off the charts, life-threatening).  Anyway, in followup, it soon became apparent that these patients were growing great gobs of hair all over the place, including lots of places they didn't want any!  It was obviously a Eureka moment for the drug-makers.  BTW, the doses for those unfortunate people in the hospital were very high, not at all like the dose in the pills for hair loss.

I have heard of it somewhere although I can not remember where. I have also heard the other way around of compounding pharmacies making a topical finasteride+minoxidil+ketoconazole (thought to remove excess DHT directly from the scalp). I guess the thought on this is that with the topical you have less off-target side effects and more direct targeting of the scalp. The minoxidil is messy though for sure drips down your face and such, a pill would certainly be easier if it was just as effective and did not have additional side effect profile. I noticed a beneficial decrease in BP for myself with super low dose 2.5mg tadalafil so much that I was able to stop taking any BP meds. It actually seems to control it much better than metoprolol or losartan did maybe a compounded effect with the finasteride. Now I am 115/75 resting heart rate 65 every morning prior to tadalafil I was ~140/85 85 heart rate even on BP meds. I also have raynaud's syndrome which they prescribe off label tadalafil for, completely resolved that as well. I find pharmacology very interesting haha I should have considered it in college.

Hi John,

I am taking Dasatinib with 50 mg per day. How's your dosage of Dasatinib? Is there any difference you can tell with the addition of Finasteride?

Thanks,

Steven