You are here

swelling in left ankle/calf

Categories:

hello everyone, i was diagnosed december 2018 and currently take 100mg of sprycel.  i'm wondering if anyone else has had any swelling of their ankles or calf on sprycel-i know one of the side effects of sprycel is fluid retention but my oncologist thought it was weird that it was swollen in just my left leg and not both.  he sent me for an ultrasound to be sure there wasn't a blood clot in the left leg somwhere (there isn't).  does anybody else have this?  thank you and hope all are enjoying the beautiful day!

As I know fluid retention is a common symptom of tkis. And quite often at this part of the body! Especially if you had ultra sound you have nothing to worry about!

Hello,

Not on spycel, Tasigna but probably TKI induced. I had the same thing as you, same foot same ankle but it went away after a few days of wearing compression socks for at least 12 hours every day and drinking at leat a gallon of water. It looked atrocious and was painful. It went from my toes all the way up to my calf . It also happened  to me two months prior to being diagnosed, less severely. Called a health help line and a nurse told me to get it checked right away since  it was one sided. I didn't since it got back to normal a few days later and my only option was to go to the emergency for dozens of hours to see a doctor (at the beginning of the pandemic). A few years back I rolled that ankle badly playing basketball so I think my circulation on that foot was disrupted somehow. And since then my left ankle has always been larger.  One thing I have to say is use compression socks, don't let your blood vessel and your foot settle into that inflamated state. Now both of my ankles are the same size for the first time in 4 years!

One question, did you get hurt on that ankle at some point of your life?

I did twist that ankle years ago and have weakness in it sometimes. It never occurred to me before you mentioned it.Thank you for your response!

Small precision,when I started taking tasigna both feet had swelling but the left foot was 10 times worst. The right foot (never happened to me before)was taken care of easily tough. Also stretch your left ankle, two years ago I used this strech to get some mobility back after noticing that the swelling wasn't going down long after the injury. If you test  it on both feet you'll see that your right foot is better. It'll moderately help with the swelling and lack of blood circulation (put a brick or an elevated surface along the wall so you don't hurt your toes )https://www.prehabexercises.com/ankle-activation/ankle-mobility-standing.... Ther's also band exercises to take care of that weakness https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgnMoSHF0qE&ab_channel=MeglioTV.

Hope this helps, good luck!