You are here

Herbal Green Tea when on Nilotinib

Categories:

Hi All.,

Is it ok to drink Herbal Green tea when on Tasigna/Nilotnib?

I am sure that would be fine, I am not aware of any contraindications of any tea - black or green

Sandy

Just avoid grapefruit but the nccn guidlines says avoid all the below on any TKI:

These include:
† Turmeric
† Gingko biloba
† Green tea extract †
 St. John’s Wort

I have geen tea occasionally on Nilotinib I am not sure if that’s the same as the extract mentioned above?

I checked with my consultant about this years ago and she confirmed Green tea was fine. I also checked chamomile tea was ok too.

If in doubt ask your consultant. There are many websites with things you shouldn't eat but i have only been told about grapefruit and Seville oranges. The instructions in the packet also mentions St Johns Wort and i was advised to avoid Echinacea.

I recently came across the drug interaction section of NCCN's guidelines regarding herbal supplements. The text states that St John's Wort decreases the TKI's exposure in the body and Curcumin, Ginkgo Biloba and Green Tea Extract all increase the TKI's exposure in the body. It also recommends avoiding the exposure of all those herbal supplements. I initially thought that green tea would decrease the exposure, but it has similar effects as Curcumin, which I've been taking for a while.

Any comments about that? Thanks

I don't think that drinking a cup or 2 of tea can have any effects on CML, but supplements definitely can and it's very complex and individual situation.

There are many signaling pathways on which CML depends and most supplements tend to affect more than 1 of these, so it's difficult to say what could the end result be. I did a bit of research on these to try to understand it better and found that most so called desirable supplements activate SIRT1 (inhibits P53) and Nrf2 (linked to TKI resistance) which are both involved in cancer cell survival, so it's very counter-intuitive.

The research shows that the critical ones cannot be affected by orally administered supplement doses, but the important ones can. Below is only a partial list of the ones I looked up against various supplements. I have it in an MS Excel spreadsheet, but don't know how to share it without including meta-data and I can't attach a screenshot here.

critical:
beta-catenin
SHS/SOM
Notch

important:
SIRT1
MDM2
mTOR
HDAC
JAK/STAT
IRAK
NF-κB