You are here

Food items to include & exclude

Hi All,

I have couple of queries :

1) I have read about excluding grapefruit from diet. Is it something to do with Vitamin C

2) Does anyone has experience with wheatgrass, curcumin  & yoga 

3) Any recommendation for acne. Post one month, my wife is having painful acne. 

4) Our doctor asked us for a blood test after a month as the counts had returned to the normal range after one month on being Dasatinib , proactively we did  the blood test after 15 days and found that Hb has come down from 12.3 to 10.8. Does this needs to be monitored every 2 weeks.

What are the food items, fruits you recommend to take and what you recommend to exclude. 

Thanks

Hi, foods to avoid as far as I know are Grapefruit,Pomegranate and Seville oranges they interact with TKI'S not sure how but I am sure one of our experts can help with that .A lot of us take Turmeric Curcumin with Black pepper ,I take 2 with breakfast and 2 with dinner 600 mg each capsule and lots of other vitamin supplements vitamin d ,k2 etc..For painful acne maybe use a simple vitamin e cream rather than going down the steroid route .Hope this helps a bit .Denise.

Hi Felix, do you know if blackberries are ok to eat? 

Hi, yes fine no problems with blackberries .

Hi,

Regarding grapefruit etc ... it is not because of any vit C content, but rather because of the following: 

Many drugs are broken down (metabolized) with the help of a vital enzyme called CYP3A4 in the small intestine. Grapefruit juice can block the action of intestinal CYP3A4, so instead of being metabolized, more of the drug enters the blood and stays in the body longer

Curcumin and other supplements such as Vitamins/minerals B, C, D3 w/K2, Magnesium, Zinc, Omega 3 and others can and do help many. You might want to check level of D3... many people have low levels which can impact on health in general and CML in particular. There are many threads on this subject - just search D3. 

Re painful acne: it sounds like she may have cystic acne which is difficult to treat but has been like to hormone status. If it is very distressing I suggest she asks her GP who might prescribe a short course of steroid treatment to start with. Her D3 level may be low/sub-optimal and it is possible that if she takes steps to raise her level to at least 150 mol/L (UK measurement) this may solve the problem over time.

Sandy

If you have skin problems, then you should avoid all aggressive foods. Including it is worth removing sharp spices and additives from the diet that irritate the intestines. All purulent manifestations on the face in the form of acne result from poor bowel function and a lack of vitamins and minerals. I used vitamin complexes, including trace elements and testosterone, to tidy up my skin. It is also worth switching completely to sustainable nutrition, which becomes the Health Canal, on the way to clear skin. And from my own experience, I agree with the comments below that dairy products can also cause rashes.

Thread continued from: 
Recently Diagnosed with CML