You are here

So anybody else have this issue?

Categories:

I have been on imatinib fo 3 months. When I eat and take imatinib I get nauseated, when I don't eat and take imatinib I am fine. My pill bottle says take with water, and food. I asked Dr he said do what makes me comfortable, is this bad for your stomach?

Hi Lisa, Everyone is a little different. I take my imatinib with about 400ml of water after breakfast when I brush my teeth. Breakfast for me is orange juice a slice of wholemeal toast and tea. Occasionally I will feel a little gastric upset 30 minutes later but a biscuit and another tea will resolve that. It is best to find a regime which suits you. Some people take it at night and hope to be asleep if they have any gastric issues. I hope that is useful.

Alastair

Hello Lisa

As Alastair mentions, different regimes suit different people. As someone who has been a patient for the same amount of time as yourself, I take my 400mg of Imatinib after supper, and with a glass of water. I am lucky in that I have no digestive issues at all.

David

Hi, i was diagnosed in october 2020 and my 3 month results have not been too good, i take imatinib after eating (i eat quite a lot) i was wondering if taking it right after meal makes the absorption worse and therefore is better to take it on an empty stomach or nothing to do? thanks, greetings

I used to take my pills (imatinib) after dinner, and I kept it like this for a few years until I was told that the digestive system is at its peak around noon (lunch). Nowadays I take my pills after lunch, my biggest meal of the day, with just enough water to swallow the pill. I prefer it that way because I can eat light food at night.

I don't feel nauseous nowadays, perhaps rarely, maybe because by trial and error I have been able to identify which foods work best and which don't. I remember that milk and creamy foods didn't go well with imatinib in my case. Sleeping early and sleeping well, and including a vigorous exercise routine also helped my body to be better prepared for daily pills.