You are here

Imatinib and Tamoxifen( or similar) interactions( POST MOSTLY FOR WOMEN)

Hi, Recently had a lumpectomy for cancerous calcifications. I have been taking Gleevec (Imatinib) for 3 years.  The drug Tamoxifen or similar may be prescribed for me to take as a precautionary measure to prevent more breast cancers. Anyone have experience with the interaction issue or have suggestions? Thanks!!

Hi, do you mean you have a diagnosis of DCIS (ductal carcinoma insitu)? If you have had a lumpectomy for this condition, I am not sure if you need chemotherapy such as Tamoxifen as well. There is a split between breast surgeons who view DCIS as stage 0 breast cancer (ie. a pre-cancerous condition) and those who do not view this as a cancer at all.  

Try to do a little research as see what you can find.... if it is DCIS.

Sandy

Hi, Yes it is Stage 0, INSITU. The surgeon was pleased to have gotten clean margins. I am waiting for appointment to now see a breast cancer oncologist to determine what if any further treatment is needed. I know there will be no chemo but not certain about radiation or something like Tamoxifen.

Hi

Hopefully your oncologist will research any interactions between drugs but this is not always the case and you may need to do that research yourself or push for it.  I was told i could not have tamoxifen due to an interaction with nilotinib but i had no problem with chemo and zoladex injections.  i have seen tamoxifen on some sites suggesting there is an interaction but others do not so there may not be a significant problem.

I also take exemestane but this is only for women who have passed the menopause or take medication to induce it (zoladex)