You are here

To eat or not to eat?

Hi everyone 

I have a brother-in-law who is a keen pickler! He has given us for Christmas 5 jars of piccalilli, onions and various chutneys. 

Can I eat them in moderation or not at all?

I am on imatinib and waiting for my second hospital appointment. So this is still new to me.

What's imatinib doing to my gut bacterial health? Normal advice is to feed gut bacteria with pro and prebiotic. Also, eat fermented food such as  sauerkraut and Korean kiimchii.

With festivities fast approaching I would like remove my confusion and enjoy!

Thanking you 

Hi.  I have been on imatinib for 6 years now.  My PCR is. 0.007.  The most important thing is to take the medication with food - mainly carbohydrates- rice , bread , potatoes - stops the sickness.  The last thing to worry about is any health food fads - like vegan etc.  We are dealing with cancer -  

philip Collins 

Hi Alan ,as far as I am aware the only things to avoid are ,Seville oranges, Blood oranges ,Grapefruit ,Pomegranate  and Liquorice .I am sure one of the experts will get back to you if there is anything I have missed but that's all I avoid .So enjoy your Christmas and your delicious pickles .Good Luck ,Keep well and Happy New Year .Regards Denise.

Hi Alan,

I have not read anything that contra-indicates piccalilli/onions/chutneys.... so enjoy them. Re gut health, I agree that more and more research indicates that we should all be aware that our gut is important to health and fermented foods such as you mention certainly helps. Also, hopefully you can get your Vit D status through so you can start supplementing if you need to, an optimal Vit D3 level is really important. 

Best wishes,

Sandy