You are here

Booster dose, pfizer covid

Hi guys! 

Is it OK for CML patient to get the booster shot? I read that some people feel really bad after that dose, so i am afraid of that, any of you that can share your experience with the booster shot for covid 19, i will appreciate it! 

Thank you! 

I also queried the booster jab. My consultant advised paracetamol if affected. But it is important to go ahead with the jab.

I am having mine this Sunday so touch wood!

Sandy did advice me to get my vitamin D level checked. Also, ask about taking supplements such as K1, K2 etc. Which help maintain good general wellbeing. 

Hope your booster goes well 

I didn't have any problem with the pfizer booster.  A slight ache in the arm for 24 hours was all and no need for pain relief.

Thank you so much. I just book my appointment tomorrow morning in my country for the booster shot, I feel kind of anxious but I will do it anyway. I will try to get the Vit D as well. Thank you again for your response and advice

I only had a slight achey arm and have been ok with all three jabs.

Great! Thank you Wendy!

I just got mine, hope to be Ok all day long. 

Went to have my booster jab.

After informing of my cml and imatinib. I was moved to a different section of the clinic. Where I was given a full primary dose (my third jab). I am going back in 3 months time for my booster (my fourth jab).

I have had astra zeneca for first two then moderna for third. So far feeling fine apart from sore arm.

Once again thank you NHS for caring and looking after me.

Stay safe from covid and happy new year.

Alan

Alan, do you know the reasoning behind your getting a fourth shot.  First I have heard of anyone with CML getting a fourth shot, three months after their Booster shot.   Would appreciate knowing the reasoning.

Thanks in advance,
Buzz

Buzz, the NHS page which explains why CML patients and others should have 3 primary doses of vaccine is here. This was started before the boosters, which are the fourth dose.

Hi all, I'm not sure about the NHS outside England but this fourth dose is something that you could follow up with your consultant as only certain conditions are categorised for its use. You may get a call or text from the NHS but don't assume this will happen automatically. Best to check on the process relevant to wherever you are. Personally I had to chase it.

Regards

Hi guys

I got my booster shot more than a week ago, but now that i am reading your comments i was wondering if i made a mistake getting it instead of getting my 3rd dose, is there any difference between the booster (4th jab) and the 3rd dose? 

I have been told there is no difference.

Rgs

Sorry, I should have been more clear.  The 4th dose is on top of the 3rd one after another three months for those who fall into the category of who should receive it. This is the reason it is best to speak to your GP or Consultant to follow up on that.

Hi Alister,

Thank you for saying the third jab was put forward before the booster.

I clicked onto the link you had showing and it does mention the third

vaccine. it doesn't say how to get all 3 and the booster.

Its a bit of a problem that I've had 2 vaccines and the booster.

but! I would very much appreciate the cover of the 4th.

I'm unsure how to sort this. I don't speak to my consultant until

March and when you ring the GP they never seems to know anything

about CML.

Thank you again

My GP's team was able to recategorise the jab I had in late October on the NHS systems to be a 3rd primary dose which was recommended for the clinically vulnerable group. That makes me eligible for a booster 12 weeks after that dose. Slight complication is that I was pinged by the NHS Covid App on Wednesday last week as having been in contact with someone who subsequently tested positive. I took a covid PCR test on Thursday 23rd and came back positive. I have the symptoms of a minor head cold but self-isolating. Boosters need to be at least 4 weeks after you have had covid-19.  

Hi guys, 

I know that we are in the category for getting the 3rd dose and also the booster shot, but does it apply to all Leukemias? I mean, CML patients don’t have much problem with the linfocites or maybe am i wrong? Linfocites have to be with the inmune response to create defenses in our bodies after a vaccine, so why do we need a 3rd jab if we are not in the category of “inmunocompromised” or do we?

Thank you in advance for your responses. 

All leukemias were bundled originally together into the "Clinically Vulnerable" group to shield, and thence into the group eligible for 3rd primary dose. My consultant told me that while I was more at risk than the average person, I was not as much at risk as many other people in the group with other conditions, cancers etc. . 

"My consultant told me that while I was more at risk than the average person,"

Alistair, curious why your consultant suggested you were more at risk than the average person?

You are "undetected" correct?

Scuba, yes BCR-ABL undetected but WBC around 1.8, Neutrophils 0.8 on a good day. My neutropenia was identified in the late 1980s and was made slightly worse by imatinib since CML Dx 2007. I've had about 6 infections over the 30 years where I have needed antibiotics where a "normal" person might not have done.   

Alastair, with regards to your neutropenia, a lower Imatinib dosage would benefit you.  I'm willing to wager that Imatinib 50mg/day will keep you undetected, that's after first lowering your dosage to 100mg/day.  

Hi Buzz,  imatinib dose reduction does not correlate with improved WBC for me. I have known I was  neutropenic for over 35 years, and that has probably been the case for longer than that, and well be before my CML Dx 14 years ago. I plotted my WBC and neutrophil results for over 3 years when I reduced my imatinib the first time to 200mg and then stopped, and there was a slight initial improvement at each reduction which then reverted to my normal WBC level.

I don't have a big issue with infections; one the the 4 haematologists who investigated my low WBC pre CML summed it up by saying I was just the person at the bottom of the distribution of WBCs, but that the white cells I had were pretty good as I didn't have an issue with infections. When I encounter new medics they almost all have a panic about it, and I have to remind them their role is to treat the patient, not the test result.

Alastair, don't let that stop you from further lowering your dosage to 100mg.  It will further lessen, if not eliminate, any lingering side-effects.