You are here

Best protection against Covid (and flu) since Covid is going to be with us for a long time.

Covid (and flu) is an infection of the respiratory system beginning in the mucous membranes of the nasal system.

Confined there, these virus' are not deadly in themselves. What makes respiratory virus' dangerous is when they continue infection leading to inflammation in the lungs. It is in the lungs where hypoxia can occur leading to death. What prevents virus' from damaging the lungs is when the body mounts an antibody and T-cell response against the virus quickly to prevent further expansion. But equally as important is after the virus is eliminated, the body tamps down inflammation and restores new cell growth to replace damaged cells (from the virus & T-cell attack). Lung function throughout this process is vital.

Evolution favors people (animals in general) who have a genetic ability to keep virus' out of the lungs so that exposure to other humans respiratory virus' are not fatal and populations grow. Evolution favored receptors on our cells (especially lung cells) for vitamin D which activates both T-cells to attack a virus and also other T-cells to tamp down excessive inflammation. This is especially true in the lungs (a lot of vitamin D receptors). Without vitamin D, T-cell response to a virus and the ability to limit inflammation is greatly reduced. And (as the article below reports), vitamin D does the opposite for virus'! Virus' don't like vitamin D. They don't like the sun either.

All a vaccine can do is prep the body with an antibody response more quickly than facing the virus for the first time. T-cells are still needed to prevent widespread damage and lung inflammation. People who are vaccinated against Covid still get covid - especially if their vitamin D level is low. In fact, they are likely to be more susceptible to Covid variants than unvaccinated people who already had the disease one time. It is the vaccinated who are getting Covid over and over again as the virus mutates (Alpha, Delta, Omicron, now Ba.4, Ba.5 and on and on it will go).

But it is vitamin D (must have levels above 55 ng/ml to be fully protected) which protects against Covid (and flu generally) from getting into the lungs. And if you don't have ADE (see link above), your body through T-cell memory can handle the variants better.

Below is a summary on how vitamin D helps in preventing severe respiratory disease.

The single most important thing you can do to avoid severe respiratory viral infection (covid, flu) is to test your blood for vitamin D level and to supplement so that your blood level is above 55 ng/ml (I keep mine between 70-100 ng/ml). In addition, high normal vitamin D levels is anti-cancer as well in that T-cells are vital to cancer surveillance by the body.

(note: There is no data I have seen, NONE which documents a person hospitalized/death from Covid who had high vitamin D levels (> 55 ng/ml). In fact, all hospitalizations/death recorded where blood vitamin D was measured showed these patients had very low vitamin D levels (i.e. <30 ng/ml). I want to repeat this fact - NO ONE died from Covid anywhere in the world while having a high vitamin D blood level. All who have died and had their D level measured were deficient in D).

Vitamin D is great but by far without a doubt the best protection against severe disease and death from Covid is to be vaccinated...

Hi Scuba, I have read your posts with interest and appreciation for many years now. I have an anecdote about Vitamin D to share. 

I live in the US, for 20 years in the state of Montana, a northern state near Canada. Diagnosed in 2017 with CML, I started imatinib (recently switched to Sprycel) and also started Vitamin D 1000mg daily for lack of sunshine. For the last several years I have lived in sunny California. Recently I saw (part of) this article in the New England Journal of Medicine (I don’t have a subscription so can’t read the entire thing, but the introductory paragraph is clear):

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMe2205993

… which says Vitamin D benefits are not proven. A few months ago I stopped taking Vitamin D and what do you know, I finally came down with Covid a couple of days ago. Coincidence? Maybe it’s not that simple, but I have to wonder. I’ve been exposed to it before but never got it, after 2-1/2 years, and now that my Vitamin D levels are possibly lower, I’ve got it. (I’m doing OK so far but may take paxlovid if doctor recommends.)

One case does not prove anything, of course. But I am taking Vitamin D again.

I am not sure what to think of these US doctors and clinical trials!

Thanks.

Justine

Hi Justine,

I am familiar with the article you linked and the VITAL study. It is a flawed study in that they focused on "dose" taken and not blood plasma of vitamin D level circulating in the blood. The goal was to restore "normal" blood D level and examine if this made a difference in cancer. This level is too low to have much impact on cancer and related - except perhaps in preventing rickets.

What would have been more useful in a trial of this kind would be to supplement in a double blind trial at various blood levels of D up to 100 ng/ml. and then compare results. This was not done. We know from other research that benefit from vitamin D is best obtained when D levels are greater than 55 ng/ml with an ideal target of 70 ng/ml. The dose of D3 necessary to reach this level is often much greater than 4,000 IU's per day  which was the maximum used in the VITAL study - especially during winter. I take 5,000 IU's per day and alternate with 10,000 IU's per day in winter - and I barely can keep  my D level around 70 ng/ml. I have been doing this for more than 10 years. I take no vitamin D on days I am out in the sun scuba diving during summer. It is important to take vitamin K2 as well as D3 as they work together.

I haven't had a respiratory "anything" since increasing my D level more than 10 years ago.

(You may have read how they now claim vitamin D doesn't prevent bone fractures......Well of course not. D does not work alone in putting calcium back into bone. You need vitamin K2 which activates an enzyme (osteocalcin) that transports calcium from soft tissue to the bone. Once there, vitamin D is needed to deposit the calcium. Without K2, D sits there doing nothing (sort of speak). This is the trouble I have with modern medicine. They tend to look at only one variable at a time and fail to appreciate the complex interrelationships going on. D and K2 work together. One without the other is pointless. And there may be other interrelationships we don't know yet and hopefully will be discovered over time.)