You are here

Imatinib - why is the generic, Amarox different?

Categories:

I've been on Imatinib for almost 3 years with very few problems after the first couple of months.  I've had different generics but last week I was given Amarox and the tablets were small and white, all the other tablets were big and brownish.  Should I check  with my pharmacist that this is still Imatinib? I haven't had any adverse affects.

Thanks

Wendy

You could try this pill identifier page:  https://www.drugs.com/pill_identification.html

I think maybe they used to make them with the brown coating and have changed to white at some point.  It wouldn't hurt to ask your pharmacist.

Hi, thanks so much for your help, I'll get in touch with my pharmacist.

Wendy

Ive take the imatanib generics from sandoz, teva and two others i forgot, each looked different

Everything from big and white to small and green!

Wendy,

you can access the patient leaflet for Amarox (Imatinib) here.

https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/product/13519/smpc

Pharmaceutical form

Film-coated tablet: White to off-white coloured, capsule shaped (15.0 X 6.5 mm approx.) bevel edged scored, film-coated tablets debossed with H on one side and 20 on the other side, 2 and 0 separated by a score line. Tablets can be divided into equal halves.

Sandy

Hello Wendy,
I am currently on Imatinib. I've been given several different generic brands in the last year and a half. Dr. Reddy's, Sandoz, Teva and now Amarox. Like you, I was surprised at the size of the new white tablet as it's so much smaller than the Teva. It starts to dissolve as soon as you put it in your mouth which is unpleasant. I did stress to my consultant that I wasn't happy about being given all the different brands and could they please just stick to the Sandoz one for example. That didn't happen and they have been giving the Teva brand for a while but have now changed it to the Amarox one. I think they were having trouble getting supplies of Imatinib in general in the NHS. They try and buy in the cheapest generic brand possible. I'm interested to know what your pharmacist said to you at the end. I'm taking Imatinib as adjuvant treatment to prevent the reoccurrence of a gastric tumour which was resection. Thanks.

I agree about the taste.  It's really unpleasant.  I couldn't tolerate the one 400mg pill but after adding them one one at a time and working up to 400mg I was doing well on 4 x 100mg of the Teva/Sandoz/Dr. Reddy's (tan coloured ones) but ended up with Amarox last time.  I've had really bad stomach cramps and nausea since I started taking them.  Can't say for sure it is them but I don't like them at all, especially the taste.  It took me a long time to get over the initial side effects and I feel like I've taken a step back now.  Been on them 2 and a half years now.

I have to get them direct from the Hospital.  I'm going to see if I can order some more and ask for the ones I usually have.  Wish me luck.  I hope they're not sending them to cut costs or having trouble getting the others.  

I keep getting these Amorox ones every couple of months so I looked them up and it sent me here.  I thought, oh yes, somebody who is exactly the same as me with them ... and then realised it WAS me ... haha!  I really hate them and I did ask not to have them but it didn't have any effect with the hospital pharmacy.  

I think I'm going to ask if I can try the 400mg capsule again now I've built up some tolerance to the drug.

How is everyone else doing with them?

xxx