You are here

"undetected" update ... with a twist

I had my six month PCR test results come back "undetected". It is now 3.5 years undetected without drug. And for the first time in 3 years, I actually had to visit my doctor in person.

As it turns out, my CBC showed significant anemia with hemoglobin falling to 9.2 (not good). It turns out I was severely depleted in iron. And it made perfect sense once I thought about it. I do not eat red meat (except as a treat with friends at a restaurant) and I don't eat iron rich legumes. AND - and this is important, Curcumin is an iron chelator. So I was, over time, depleting my body of iron to a point where it is now showing up in blood tests as defeciency. It is a simple fix. More iron rich foods and I am taking iron supplements. Coffee & tea can also limit iron absorption. Keep this in mind anyone who has low RBC's (as I did and do). An iron test is a simple test to take to verify you have normal iron levels. Mine were near zero. Lesson learned.

(I will continue to take Curcumin, I will just be sure to keep the iron supplements 4 hours apart from the spice).

Hi Scuba

Thanks for sharing , I wanted to congratulate you on your result .

Could you share for how long you had the CML drug before stopping it
Also which TKi were you on

Keep healing and stay healthy
Good luck

I went three years undetected while taking 20 mg dasatinib (sprycel). After 3 years undetected, I stopped taking dasatinib and remained undetected for the next 3.5 years (latest PCR result). My doctor told me in his experience with patients undergoing treatment free remission (TFR), it is rare to see relapse after 3 years of no drug but does happen. TFR protocol is now routine at M.D. Anderson. A much different situation than just a few years ago.