You are here

Hypercholesterolemia with Tasigna

Categories:

Just received results from a lipid panel and it seems that all my cholesterol numbers have increased big time. I received similar results about 4 months ago from my annual health exam. I dismissed those results to an over use of lattes, cafe Au laits, and eating a lot of cheese. I have since stopped all that and in fact I have been fasting on average 1 day but often 2 days a week for the past 3 months. So I am pretty sure it’s not my diet. Anyway I see hypercholesterolemia Is a real problem with some Tasigna recipients and I am curious if anyone else has experienced this side effect. I’ve been on Tasigna for 1.5 years and I know it takes time for these side effects to ramp up. I have experienced many effects over my 12 years living with CML but this is the first one that has potential long term catastrophic outcomes. If you have experience with this I would very much like to hear from you.

Hi. I have been on Nilotinib for 5 years now and experience raised cholesterol. I made a number of dietary changes over an extended period and also tried fasting. Although I still do this it made little difference to my result. I have been taking pravastatin sodium 20 mg once a day for 3ish years and it remains in the ‘acceptable’ range.

Thanks WillO I will definitely look into that. I plan to see my PCP and consult with a pharmacist where I will relay this info. This is exactly the kind of input I was looking for. Much appreciated!