You are here

trisomy in chromosome 8 ph-

Hi everybody. I've just found out that i have two pH negative clones with trisomy in the 8 chromossome. I know this is commom and that other people here have the same issue. What did yours doctor told about this thing? Does it goes away? I'll start tasigna in two days. Thanks in advance

Hi Lucas,

from some brief research it seems that the T8 in PH neg cells is reported in patients treated with imatinib, in most cases it seems to be transient
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18983302

and some conclude that although it is rare, closer monitoring of such patients treated with imatinib is essential.
However, as you are now switching to nilotinib it might be that the T8 ph neg cells will disappear.
please keep us updated and good luck with you change of TKI. Hopefully it will deal with the problem and you will not need to worry any further.

Sandy

Thanks, sandy. My doctors aren't concerned about the trisomy (it was only in 10% of my cells) but they want to continue my close monitoring (i have cbcs every month and bmas every 3). I started tasigna today (with no drug break. yesterday i took glivec)and had no side effects 'till now. i wish tasigna was offered to me when i was dx (because the high sokal and young age) but now i'm in a stronger drug and i'll get better results. :)

Dear Lucas,
I read your posts all the time and am glad you have such a close relationship with your doctors. Good luck on Tasigna. I had never heard of trisomy. . .not sure if staying in the dark helps me stay calmer.

My next (9 month from diagnosis) blood test is on 10/15 and I am keeping my fingers crossed the Sprycel is working properly.

Going back to exercising and doing my utmost to eat right!! Ha ha ha.

Best to you,
Ginger

hi, ginger! thanks for the words. trisomy is another genetic alteration (i have three chromosomes 8). if the trisomy is on the leukemic cells then there's a clonal evolution (the leukemia is becoming more resistant), if it's on the negative cells/normal cells than you have to check more times your marrow but there's no prognostic value for cml (scuba, from LLS forum, have the same issue).

I began tasigna yesterday and so far so good. no visible side effects and i think now it's gonna work and i'll my goals. what my doctors and i will never understand is why i had a pcr of less than 10% but still had 40% of my marrow PH+. i had various pcrs and all were less than 10% (maybe the doctor had "luck" to aspirate a part of my marrow where there were more ph+ than the other parts heheh :D).

Hope you're doing great and i'm sure sprycel will do the trick.

cheers,

Lucas