You are here

Taking IMATINIB at night

Categories:

Hi all, hope this isn't a stupid question but, does anyone take their Imatinib at night instead of in the morning .Was just wondering if this would make any difference regarding fatigue,I am finding it  hard trying to go for a decent walk after taking it ,my Husband keeps saying "are you walking backwards" as I can't keep up with him on the way home ,cheeky bugger .Thanks folks ,Keep well .

When I was first given the pills my consultant told me the best time to take them was after dinner  I went online and found most people seemed to say the same.  I did find i'd still zone out for a bit afterwards.  I can't remember how long it was like that as I was on them for 9 years.  How long have you been on them?  

Hi, been on them just over a year now ,I have no side effects now ,touch wood apart from the fatigue .I am 61 and before diagnosis I used to jog  and walk for miles ,but now I just haven't got the stamina it's a bit like being diabetic can't seem to  store energy .Denise.

Hello Denise. I am 62. Relying upon the advice of others immediately post-diagnosis, I started taking imatinib at dinner time. I am fortunate too in experiencing no side effects. My energy has measurably reduced by 20% to 25% but I attribute the energy loss to CML rather than to imatinib. Stephen.

Hi Stephen  ,some people seem to say when they have reduced their dose they have a bit more energy .We don't know how long we have had CML before being diagnosed but my energy was fine  then when my bloods were high and all other levels were wrong .Now my bloods are much more normal you would think I would feel more normal if that makes sense ,so I am blaming Imatinib and not the CML but maybe I am wrong .Denise.

I take mine right before or after dinner, mainly so I don’t miss a dose. I would prefer to take it before bed time but I would probably forget. I have been on 600mg since diagnosis for three years now. Now not detected. Since treatment began, never missed work, up at 4:30am & bed at 10:00pm and doing the same stuff. Only side effects was swollen ankles first three months. Currently 60yr old. I have considered dose reduction but am following Trey’s advise to drive the SOB into the basement.

Hi everyone i to am 61,up to being diagnosed in January 2015 I was a member of a gym, still am, have gained a lot of weight, 2 stone, but feel my energy levels were probably self effected because mentally my thoughts were solely concerned about having Cml, 2019 is a new year and I am determined to focus on getting back to gym. Best wishes to all “members “ of the Cml club.x

Yep, I switched from mid-day to night, sleep through the side affects (one being fatigue) and love it.  Be sure to eat a bit before (one to two hours before also works) taking the medicine to avoid nausea or getting sick.  

Hi,did you take your pill an hour or so later each day to get to the time you want  .As I take mine about 10 am and want to take about 6 pm it will take me a few days .Thanks for replying to me .Denise.

The half life of imatinib is almost 24 hours, so you don't need to stagger it over a few days really. 

If I were you, I would take it at 10am tomorrow and then 6pm the next day and you're done. 

There will be no appreciable difference in the amount of imatinib in your system. It takes about 5 or 6 days for one pill to almost fully "wash out" of your system anyway. 

David. 

Hi David ,thank you so much for your advice I will do that .Whether it makes any difference or not to the  fatigue I can but try .   .Here's Hoping .Thanks again ,Denise.

I hope it does help. But going back to the half-life bit, it takes just under 24 hours for 50% of the imatinib to clear your system. Another 24 hours for it to go down by 25% (by which time you'll already have taken another). 

The drug should be continuously active in your system really. With luck, the initial "hit" might trouble you and taking it overnight could help. 

But if it doesn't, there's no reason not to look at changing to another TKI. Constant fatigue is shit, and though not a medical reason to switch not every resin needs to be purely medical. Quality of life is important too. 

David. 

Dear Felix, thank you for opening this thread. I've been diagnosed two months ago and the only instruction my doctor gave me was: "take imatinib with your biggest meal". My days became horrible. Once imatinib kicked in, I felt an immense fatigue. I stopped exercising and had to reduce my job hours and study hours. I asked several doctors but none of them suggested something as simple as taking the pill at night. I made this decision all by myself and, as I do not feel side effects anymore, I was worried that maybe imatinib does not work if taken at night. So, I searched for imatinib at night and the only valid result was your post. Thank you so much.