You are here

Turmeric and Nilotnib

Categories:

Hi there,

I am planning to start with Turmeric & black Pepper once a day. I have read posts of scuba about it.

My question - is it safe to take turmeric/black pepper with Nilotnib.

Thank you

Even I have CML and I have asked the same question as yourself. After a lot of research on the net where I did not find anything, I decided and wrote an email to Novartis ,the company that produced Tasigna .
Here's their answer:

• MedInfo, Swiss (Gen)
No interaction is known between curcumin and Nilotinib. There is no contraindication for using curcumin while you are treated with Nilotinib.

As you can see, we can take Tasigna with curcumin or turmeric.
But we have a problem. On largest medical site in world , the National Institutes of Health, there is an electronic library called Pubmed. You may have heard abot it . After I documented there and other places, I found things not very encouraging.
Several studies with contradictory results say that Nilotinib may be suppressing some components of the immune system. I mean, Nilotinib is very good and does his job, but he tends to take cytotoxic action on his own.
Our immune system is, if this is true, affected. That's bad.
Fortunately, we can take steps to upgrade our immune system. I'm sure, right now, your immune system is very weak.
What can we do? ...
Fortunately, a lot. I've taken dozens of natural substances and compounds, maybe one hundred, of increasing immunity. I'm not a rich man, but I spent a lot of money, money, energy and research time.
I have experimented on my body what I found on the net. I have experienced a lot of everything and I learned practically what some just recommend copying from one site to another.
Here's what I say:
Among the most powerful stimulators of the immune system are AHCC and Beta Glucan. Do not use it for the time being, it may not fit you. I say start with the primary elements of immunity:
- vitamin D
- zinc
- selenium
These must be taken. It is not optional, they are mandatory, you have to reach the appropriate levels otherwise you will not advance in the fight with the disease. You must first perform your analyzes, see their level in your blood. It's probably low. Do not be afraid, everything can be improved.
Use:
- Colostrum
- Epicor.
Very good, natural, with fast effects. Do not take Moducare, it is very good, but, as it writes on the net, the number of eosinophils decreases. I know they dropped to me .
I see you want to use turmeric supplements with pepper. It's your choice . I use curcumin supplements. I consider them better, I repeat, I do not want to influence you.
About so far, maybe we can see this page.

Just out of curiosity when you have asked Novartis if curcumin is safe to take have they also confirmed black pepper and piperine?
As I read piperine is a strong CYP3A4 inhibitor whatever that exactly means, but it is in the same group as grapefruit.

CYP3A4 is an enzyme produced by the liver to breakdown toxic substances found in the body especially medications. Medications are designed and tested along absorption, peak concentration and then elimination from the body profiles. CYP3A4 is factored into these trials and substances which inhibit CYP3A4 will affect a drugs profile. In some cases a CYP3A4 inhibitor can push an acceptable safety profile (toxicity) for a drug into an unsafe zone. Nilotinib is one of these drugs.

Many foods contain CYP3A4 inhibitors naturally (grapefruit is an example along with pepper). In the case of nilotinib, the presence of CYP3A4 inhibitors can push nilotinib from being a relatively safe drug into one that is not (in terms of toxicity). This is why nilotinib is prescribed to be taken several hours after or before eating. It is to minimize the risk (primarily).

The good news is that Curcumin (with piperine) is metabolized quickly by the body. Most of it is gone after a few hours. So taking Curcumin with piperine in between doses of nilotinib is fine. I would not take Curcumin with piperine at the same time as nilotinib. I try not to take drugs with food in general, unless it is required (imatinib is one). And drugs are usually required with food in order to minimize nausea knowing CYP3A4 inhibitors are present.