You are here

Frequent cold sores

Categories:

Hi everyone, has anyone had a problem with recurring cold sores around the mouth? I just passed my 2 year anniversary since diagnosis, and though I am a turtle, everything is going fine -- except in the last few months I am getting one cold sore after another. As soon as one heals, another starts. This has happened about six times in the last two months. Is this an immune system problem? I have not had a single cold or sore throat or anything since my diagnosis, so I've been feeling really good. But this is an annoyance and very unattractive! I have wondered if I should ask my oncologist about it, but it seems like such a minor inconvenience I'm almost embarrassed to ask. Thanks for this wonderful resource. I read it often!

I have had those since I was a little kid. I’ve had my entire lips covered. They pop up one after the other. They suck, you can get Acyclovir 400mg prescribed, but is more effective at the onset and they don’t mature. I still get them, but since on Imatinib, seldom and they are small. They are contagious so be careful kissing, sharing drinks and other stuff.

Thanks Tbrand. Glad yours have gotten less frequent and smaller!

Don’t feel bad about asking your doctor, but it might be a more appropriate question for your GP / primary care doctor at least at first. Cold sores are generally caused by herpes viruses, and whilst most of our CML related stuff is more concerning with bacterial infection if your blood counts are low then your immune could have trouble with a cold sore.

Sure, it’s not an emergency. But that doens’t mean you shouldn’t get it seen to appropriately.

David.

Justine, after my initial diagnosis, I found I was prone to colds. One after another. Once we found a dosage that was right for me, the serial colds stopped. I had wound-up in the hospital with acute pneumonia one year because my immune system had very low white blood counts from my TKI therapy.