You are here

Low platelet and wbc while on Nilotinib

Categories:

Dear all,
Hi,

My father was diagnosed with cml 12 years ago and was on Imatinib, but 8 months ago he had a fracture in his right tibia due to a tumor. Doctors guessed his tumor might be because of his cml moving into its blast phase and that it might have changed to Aml. But, Bone marrow biopsy said: 15% of myeloblast is seen. It should be more than 20% to be named Aml. So his doctor prescribed Nilotinib 800 at first;that reduced his wbc to 1700 and plt to 35000. Then he was on dose 400 of Nilotinib but again not much change in increasing his factors. After that he stoppoed the medication and had some injection of Amuple Gcss. By Gcss his wbc moved to normal range and again after somedays it went down. Because of low wbc and plt he was hospitalized for 3 days while he had a little fever. Now he is back home and again on Nilotinib 800, after 7 days of no Nilotinib.
Here is my Question: Based on your experiences, I found out that it is natural for wbc and plt to be low while on Nilotinib. Should we be worried about this? Or we need to wait for one or two years for the factors to go up while on Nilotinib?
Thanks for your help in advance

Naturally it is necessary to get back on the medication as soon as possible but I was wondering what they decided to do about the tumor?  Did they call this a chloroma or myeloid sarcoma?  I think that would require additional therapy and not just TKI therapy (Radiation Therapy/Removal/Other Chemo).  What was the tumor symptoms that were experienced or was it no symptoms straight to fracture?  There is not a lot of literature about this as it is extremely (less than 1%) rare.  Regarding the dropping in counts I know many have fought through dropping counts by starting at lower doses (20mg Dasatinib for example).  There is a lot of discussions about this topic on the forum.  Please keep us updated and I hope you find all the necessary treatment and information necessary to get everything under control.  

Thanks alot for your reply.
He experienced pain for some months before the fracture, but unfortunately no doctor recognized it was because of a tumor, even his oncologist!
The only therapy except for the TKL was tumor removal, with no radiotherapy. His doctor said radiotherapy is needed but it drops the blood factors even more,that is why they did not do it. But unfortunately I do not know about the tumor type. I will keep you posted as soon as I know it.