You are here

Is CML curable or not?

Categories:

Now my RQ-PCR is 0.033 & everyday I am taking Imatinib (Veenat 400 mg)

Is my Hematologist reduce my Imatinib power, When the pcr more down?

I want to know about treatment free remission. If anyone kindly give me the details information of treatment free remission, I would very pleased. After going treatment free remission, How long will I have to take Imantinb again?

If I Transplantation my Bone Marrow for Chronic myeloid leukemia, is it Permanent solution?

Your PCR is 0.03 %. You would need your PCR to be < 0.01% for at least two years before trying treatment free remission (TFR). ~50% of patients who try TFR at this point have successful outcomes (no CML return). They are functionally cured.

What does functionally cured mean ...why not just "cured"?

It means that their PCR continues to be below detection (< 0.01%), but CML could always come back in the absence of imatinib (or other TKI's). So CML patients like us have to continue to be monitored with regular PCR testing. Once a month for the first year and then less frequently thereafter.

Why no cure as in - no more testing, no more CML?

Because cancer - including leukemia is an immune system failure. And TKI's do not treat the immune system. Until there  is an immune system cure (i.e. vaccine), a true cure for CML is in the future, not available today. But it is promising.

Treatment free remission is the next best thing. Not having to take a toxic chemical like imatinib (or any of the other TKI's) is still a good thing. And for practical purposes, if CML does not return - it is very likely gone. (meaning: under control by your immune system once again and you are cured).