You are here

Dasatinib (sprycel)

I have had Bosutinib stopped due to liver problems.  I now have to go onto Dasatinib, what’s the normal dosage to be prescribed?  Do you start low and go higher or the reverse to minimise side effects?

i have responded well to Imatinib and Bosutinib and treatment was only stopped due to intolerable side effects.

I also had to stop Bosutinib due to liver values and was switched to Dasatinb. 100mg is standard dosage. There is some good evidence that lower doses such as 50mg might be more appropriate. The switch has been good for me other than bad acne on face. But most importantly it got me to MMR after being a turtle for 2 years. I hope to try a lower dosage in the future. My Oncologist wanted a year first before trying a dose reduction.

Thanks for the reply 🙂

the side effects do worry me as although the other treatments have worked they have been extremely difficult to live with. 

Hi Mick and Mike

I am currently on 400mg Bosutinib but it is also affecting my liver, also my last bcr test showed an increase from 4.5% to 5.4% which worried me.

Dr has said wait and see what bcr results are in two weeks and if there is another increase I may be switched to Dasatinib. Very interesting to read that a lower dose of 50mg is the best way to start with.

Please keep us updated with your side effects/progress on Dasatinib, I am very interested.

Hope the side effects aren’t too difficult for you.

Diane

Hello Diane :-)

Hope you get you numbers back down on liver function!  All a bit frustrating the side effects of these meds as you never know what’s happening and the causes of the problems.  It’s sending me slowly mad! 

Are you taking all the usual advice on protecting your liver?  

Hopefully they will start me on 50mg dosage to minimise toxicity levels and side effects!

take care 

Mick 

Hi Mick

I know exactly what you mean about side effects etc sending you mad. I have been on such a rollercoaster of emotions since diagnosis in Nov 2017. I just begin to think I have cracked it and the next set of bloods throw up a new problem!!!

Re protecting my liver, I’ve never been a big drinker, just the occasional wine or g&t if we are out for a meal. I mentioned milk thistle to my dr but was told not to take it as it would not give true readings of my liver issues. If you have any advice or know of anything else I should be aware of I would be grateful to know?

I am currently on a low dose of steroids for my liver but whenever I gradually come off them it’s just back to square one again.

Please update us on how the Dasatinib goes.

Best wishes

Diane