You are here

Does ones hair ever come good?

Just a question and I know it’s vanity but I Used have long blonde hair now it’s this weird curly short mess with full on breakage and my skin has wrinkles SO much and that was after year and half on gleevec.Will it improve now am on Sprycel or should I expect more hair loss and weird new growth?The loss of looks has been a very challenging part of this whole thing for me,as used be quite good looking...anyone relate?thanks again Tanya

I don’t think anyone will be able to give you a definitive answer, but when I took imatinib all my grey hair (not that much, admittedly, but noticeable) went un-grey and in general my hair went darker than ever. People thought I was dying my hair.

Unfortunately when I stopped imatinib and moved to dasatinib the odd patches of grey started to reappear and my hair went back to its original colour.

I know I’m not the only one on imatinib this happened to. I reckon if Novartis could work out how and why this happens they would be on to a blockbuster.

Thank you ,David,yes have heard that about Glivec...My hair just kept falling out and then I got it lightened and it started breaking off and growing back curly!Its a real mess now!Have no idea if Sprycel is going to affect it...too early to say...anyway,I know it’s only vanity but when you have really loved your hair your whole life,it can be a bit hard to take at times...Guess had better be grateful for being able stay alive because of these meds...

I thought my hair loss was due to my TKI  but it ended up being the 1mg  Lorazepam the doctor prescribed me to make me sleep at night.  Gave up the sleep help for hair.   My hair however has waves in it now .   Just happy that it was a drug I could live without causing the hair loss.  Hair came back.  Are you taking any other prescription medications besides your TKIs?

Steff

I thought my hair loss was due to my TKI  but it ended up being the 1mg  Lorazepam the doctor prescribed me to make me sleep at night.  Gave up the sleep help for hair.   My hair however has waves in it now .   Just happy that it was a drug I could live without causing the hair loss.  Hair came back.  Are you taking any other prescription medications besides your TKIs?

Steff

Thanks for responding.No not on any other drugs,just tumeric,Magnesium,Multi Bs,Spirulina,Vit D and Vit E...My hair is embarrassing now but if that’s the worst thing I have to worry about...I did get my hair bleached blonde when on Gleevec and that was a stupid thing to do as hair cannot take that AT ALL.Colouring hair is safe so may try that in a bit.....sure strange to have weird curly brown hair though...certainly won’t be loved for my looks anymore!lol!

I use to get my hair highlighted but stopped after my CML dx.  I am now letting nature do it own highlighting and I call it "My Grey Pride Parade"  they wave at me as if saying 'here we are standing high!!!' ay-yai-yai!"

Steff