You are here

Stopped Imatinib under Self Prescription.

Categories:

This one is in continuation to  my previous question- https://cmlsupport.org.uk/thread/13192/no-more-sandoz-others-cause-side-... - however thought it is worth a new thread.

After discussion with my heamatologist at my appointment (for reasons of lack of medication availability - refer link above), I have now stopped my medication after taking it for about 4 years 3 months.

Although the Dr was herself convinced on the results of previous studies, she mentioned that currently there is no mandate for them  on stopping medication at this point in time. They are expecting such a mandate to come possibly in early next year or so - and hence this will be fully on me. 

Either ways, I am under a 6 week blood test observation cycle, to be reviewed under in-person appointments every 3 months. 

4 weeks into stopping medication now, I am feeling quite similar side effects that I had felt when I started the medication - but at a much lighter note - for e.g. Rib cage pain / back pains / weakness / muscular pains - full body &  breathlessness - which for me was due to severe acquired anemia. I am guessing all this will ease of in the coming weeks. Fingers crossed and hoping for the best.  

Would be keen to know if there are others who have also stopped like myself and how did it work out for them.

Thanks,
D

I wonder if it might have been worth trying 200mg of the generic which gave you the least side effect - ?Wockhardt. That would put you on the Destiny protocol which gave a higher chance of maintaining MMR than just stopping from the standard 400mg dose e.g STIM. I did this and had a significant improvement in side  effects (which were not as bad as yours by a long way, and didn't change for me when I went from branded Glivec to Sandoz and then to Wockhardt) when I moved to 200mg.

Good luck with it and let us know what happens. There are some people on here doing very well who changed to a 2nd gen TKI because of side effects, so that could be an option as well.

Thank you Alaistair.

I did explore the option to ask for Wockhardt, but the pharmacist kept pushing for Accord (not sure why). 

Eitherways, here I am and looking for my first blood test in 2 more weeks. Will keep all informed.