You are here

Understanding my PCR results

Categories:

Hello everyone,

could you please help me understand my pcr results as my physician is kind of enigmatic about this particular matter. Today (after 4 months), I finally succeded in convincing (we had a debate about this since start) her to tell me the result after 3 months since diagnosis - she told me it´s 0,014 (in my report there is written: "transcripts bcr/abl: positive, - 0,0141"). I asked her also how it was on the start and she told me somewhere around 0,03  (don´t know precisely).

Does it mean that transcript ratio is 1,4 %? It seems to me that´s little odd as I remember that someone in other thread wrote that at the time of diagnosis it´s usually close to 100 % (and 3 % is quite far from that). I had CHR fast (after 3 weeks on nilotinib).

Thanks!

Hi Tomas,

It might be helpful for you to get copies of your BCR/ABL1 PCR reports.  If you're correct and your three month PCR score was 1.4% IS (International Standard), then you're responding very well to treatment.

I find it unusual that your doctor is hesitant in sharing your test results with you.  If you have the option, maybe you could find someone who is more compatible with your desire for information.

Kirk

If your doctor is not being helpful, just ask for a copy of the lab report. You’re entitled to it and it will tell you what you need to know and we can help you interpret it.

David.