You are here

Xmas Food!

Categories:

Hello all,

I am on Bosutinib and am very careful about food interactions. I avoid grapefruit, pomegranate, Seville oranges etc. This has led me to avoid mince pies and mulled wine at Xmas for the last few years as they contain ‘orange peel’ and it’s often not clear on packaging if these come from Seville Oranges or not. I am now starting to think I might be over-doing it on the food interactions (and I’m missing my festive treats!) and just wondered if anyone else avoids these things too? Or can I finally buy a pack of 6 mince pies for myself?!!

Many Thanks! 

Hi RB,

People overthink this one all the time. Stick clear of grapefruits and grapefruit juice. 

You'd have to eat an emornous amount of pomegrante to cause a problem. Stick clear of 100% pomegranate juice, which is hard to find anyway becasue it's incredibly expensive. If there's a few pomegranate seeds in your salad or mince pie, eat them they are delicious!

Seville oranges are used to make marmalade. They don't taste nice fresh (very bitter), so you won't see Seville oranges in anything else really. And the cooking process denatures them significantly, so even marmalade isn't a problem. And even if it was, you'd need to be eating the whole jar in one sitting really. Starfruit is a no-no, but again a bit in a salad is OK and i have yet to meet or hear of anyone eating a whole one.

So yes, you are over-thinking this.

Eat all and everything over Christmas, including your mince pies and eat as many of them as you want. Just don't drink grapefruit juice. Aloe Vera juice in large quantities isn't a good idea either, I'm told., Maybe I missed a memo, but I didn't realise people drank that as juice.

People get too hung up on food, and get worrieif they eat a single pomegranate seed whilst completely ignore the fact they are taking a proton pump inhibitor to control stomach acid. It's the drug-drug interactions that are the main issue, for more people.

Put it this way, the most risk averse people in a pharma company write patient information leaflets (PIFs) for drugs, and what do they all say (bar imatinib) ... don't eat grapefruits. It doesn't go into anything else.

David.

Hi David,

Thanks very much for your message. Very helpful  information. I think, when first diagnosed, I felt that so much of my life and course of my illness was out of my control that it felt proactive and good when I was careful with ingredients etc. Now I’m in MMR, I just miss certain foods! 

Hope you have a great Xmas and New Year!

Best Wishes

Hi, only 6 mince pies ,you on a diet ,haha ,go for it and enjoy every last crumb.Merry Christmas and Happy New Year .

Haha! Thank you! Merry Xmas and happy new year to you too!