You are here

dry mouth

Categories:

I've had dry mouth since starting lisinopril for hypertension. But since starting imatinib in mid September, it is worse. I use biotene. Now I find that my lips are cracking. The doc suggested aquaphor, which helps a little. Any thoughts from others?

Hi,

Dry mouth is a recognised side effect of imatinb. 

I'm not sure what I can recommend over something like aquaphor. I've always found diprobase very effective on dry skin, even if it smells a little medical somehow but that's for exterior use. The other thing I've used in recent weeks for cracked lips (not imatinib induced, just cold dry weather here) is O'Keefe's Lip Repair and it's pretty good.

https://www.boots.com/okeeffes-lip-repair-unscented-10237718

David.

Hi David,

Thanks for the suggestion about O'Keefe's. I will see if I can find it here.

Ah man never had it before starting TKI and I wake up every morning with Gandhis flip flop. Dry as a bloody desert. So dry I put the TKi in my mouth and it sticks to the roof of my mouth. Bleeding gums is another one for me, never before taking TKi was it a problem. It’s logical to assume that because the mouth becomes so dry the gums retract causes them to bleed. It sucks and I am not aware of a way around it.

It drives me mad

Al

I use biotene rinse in the morning and at night. Also use biotene drops to suck on several times during the day. That might help you