You are here

Increasing platelets and BCR ABL

My brc abl and platelets are increasing. I have been on remission for over 3 yrs but now am shocked to see my platelets increasing from 125,000-588,000 and my BCR increasing as well. My worry is is it possible for me to get to remission again. 

Hi Lucky,

An increase in platelets plus a rise in BCR/Abl level (what is the latest value?) may mean that you need to change to a different TKI - depending on your next PCR result. I assume your doctor has retested by PCR? If the last result does not show up as a 'blip' due to a contaminated or insufficient blood sample and the second result shows another rise then mutation testing is recommended. 

You say you have been in remission for over 3 years.... what level of BCR/Abl did you have before the sudden (?) rise, and was is stable?

It is possible for you to get to molecular remission again but you and your doctor will need to take steps to address your 'apparent' resistance. I hope the most recent PCR test will show your previous level is regained and this is indeed a 'blip'. However, your rising platelet levels will need to be investigated.

Good luck,

Sandy

Hi Sandy,

Thanks for your support. When I was in remission my BCR was 0.0001 and it was stable for 2 yrs and the it increased a little to 0.008 but later went back to 0.0001 it was there until 2018 I saw a rise  to 0.005 and my platelets was up to 200,000 before I did my spine surgery but my doctor said I was still doing fine that I was safe to do the surgery and after which I did couple of test everything seem normal within range . But the last test showed a BCR of 6.5 and platelets of 585,000 . My doctor suggested a increase in my imatinib dose from 400-600 to see if there will be any changes. Am still very worried . Been trying to figure out what could be the cause of this increase .