You are here

Coronavirus solution?

https://virologyj.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1743-422X-2-69/figu...

"Chloroquine is a potent inhibitor of SARS coronavirus infection and spread

A personal friend of mine in Houston, has Covid-19 currently (following a visit to France). He is in his second week self-quarantine post positive test. He is recovering, but did suffer pneumonia. He was treated with chloroquine which cut the virus progression dramatically and accelerated his recovery. It does seem chloroquine is effective, it is readily available, and is well known (good safety profile). I think about what malaria has in common with covid-19?

Hi Scuba,

However if one was on tkis there would be a need to take account of drug/drug interaction-one paper I read suggested that there would be greater imatinib and dasatinib exposure so effectively pushing up the imatinib/dasatinib dose.For dasatinib and nilotinib one would need to monitor the QT interval apparently, and finally imatinib would push down any intra cellular exposure.

I suspect though that in any case of severe respiratory distress that the tki would be discontinued on a temporary basis anyway.?

Regards

John

All good points John.

Also - I have confirmed a close personal friend of mine tested positive for Covid-19. He believes he got it 2-3 March of this year. He relates the following:

from his email to me:

"...had the re-test for cv19 so that i can get a negative result and be released from quarantine, along with my family.
i went to the same clinic that tested me on march 10th, where i was the very first patient tested.
so far, after 10 further days of testing, i am still the only one who tested positive.
some people are coming in and insisting that they be tested despite not showing any symptoms, and they are humoring them.
most people are coming in presenting symptoms - and i certainly did not go into the waiting room with that mess.
and yet, none have had cv19.

My wife and son did not get cv19.
I have spent a lot of time piecing together my own time line, and reading articles and studies, and have concluded that the contagious aspects of this are in a very narrow period of time and only by breath and touching of things the affected person may have breathed on.
In my case, I think I was only contagious march 2-3, or roughly that 48 hour period after having gotten it on feb 25. I did not give it to anybody before then,, and nobody after then."

It is interesting to me that his wife and son did not get the virus despite not knowing he had it when typical family affection is going on. Similar to family members who don't get the flu when other family members come down with it.

Hi Scuba 

I don`t think chloroquine can work to cure all corona virus cases,.On March 22  two Nigerians are in hospital after being poisoned by an unproven drug (Chloroquine)that they thought it  is  possible cure for the novel coronavirus. We are praying for God to protect us and all the world from this ugly virus . I hope coronavirus treatment be ready soon.

Sue

This research was in-vitro conducted on the Vero e6 cell line, one of the more commonly used mammalian continuous cell lines in microbiology, and molecular and cell biology research.

Where do VERO cells come from?
Vero cells are derived from the kidney of an African green monkey

Chloroquine is a very potent drug which can have serious side effects in some people - as John has already said in his post on this thread.

https://www.drugs.com/sfx/chloroquine-side-effects.html

Disease Interactions

https://www.drugs.com/disease-interactions/chloroquine.html#bone_marrow_suppression

• Moderate: 4-aminoquinolines (Includes chloroquine) ↔ bone marrow suppression

Moderate Potential Hazard, Low plausibility. Applies to: Bone Marrow Depression/Low Blood Counts
Adverse hematologic effects including neutropenia, agranulocytosis, aplastic anemia, and thrombocytopenia have been rarely associated with 4-aminoquinolines. Therapy with 4-aminoquinolines should be administered cautiously in patients with preexisting bone marrow suppression. A complete blood count should be performed periodically in patients on prolonged therapy. If any severe blood disorder appears which is not attributable to the disease under treatment, discontinuance of the drug should be considered.

Overdosing on just about any drug can poison you. Our own TKI's are very toxic. Overdosing on them can poison you as well. Taking non-pharmaceutical grade drugs like fish tank cleaner* is also not recommended. If people go out and dose themselves without any medical knowledge or oversight, then they don't want to be here, alive, on this planet.

Chloroquine's effectiveness is anecdotal:

https://nypost.com/2020/03/22/florida-man-with-coronavirus-says-drug-tou...

But then people do stupid things:

*https://kfor.com/news/arizona-man-dies-after-taking-medicine-touted-by-t...

For the vast majority of us - even if you acquire Covid-19, it will run its course most with few symptoms and some with a flu like response. For a few who have weakened immune systems and other underlying chronic conditions (not CML in remission) and are elderly (over 70), there is a greater risk Covid-19 can progress to pneumonia and be life threatening. For those people, Chloroquine 'may' hold promise. We'll learn soon if taking it by a larger number of patients if it truly works. My friend in Houston was given Chlorquine and it dramatically improved his condition (his Covid-19 progressed into pneumonia) and he is now home. So there is cause for optimism.

(Note: The only proven way to know for sure if a human treatment is statistically effective is a double blind clinical trial. These take a long time - months to years to conduct properly. They are very expensive, but are the only approved method to learn cause - effect, results and safety. In the case of Covid-19 and other maladies where time is of the essence, a clinical trial may not be practical in the short term. This is where anecdotal evidence can be useful. It is why we take vitamin D, curcumin, vitamin C and do other things (i.e. fasting) because there is evidence they can be effective in some cases and are safe when applied to CML. Are they proven? No. But they are not unproven either.)

Found this to be very interesting, even though it was a limited study.

https://techcrunch.com/2020/03/19/french-study-finds-anti-malarial-and-a...

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/therapeutic-options.html

"Hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin are associated with QT prolongation and caution is advised when considering these drugs in patients with chronic medical conditions (e.g. renal failure, hepatic disease) or who are receiving medications that might interact to cause arrythmias."

But at least seems promising against CV19

Chloroqine also is associated with eye retina detachments. Personally I avoided it after learning about its side effects when I was in Africa and switched to "deet". Thankfully I never had malaria.

However - if I am on my death bed and can't breath and I am offered Cholorquine - sign me up. Worth a try if nothing else is working and there is at least "some" evidence it could work and a history of its use in other maladies (i.e. so its safety profile is known somewhat).

That's why I put the "?" in the thread title. Is it a solution? who knows, maybe ... and maybe when time is of the essence is perhaps good enough.

"

However - if I am on my death bed and can't breath and I am offered Cholorquine - sign me up. Worth a try if nothing else is working and there is at least "some" evidence it could work and a history of its use in other maladies (i.e. so its safety profile is known somewhat).

"

I would do the same.

And in the french study definately seems to show promise, hopefully we will have even more data in the next days or weeks.