You are here

Sprycel 100mg missed dose

Categories:

Hi, 

i’ve been on Sprycel 100mg qd for a year now.

Occasionally I miss it does. I still don’t quite understand the instructions for missed dose, other than never to double up.

occasionally I miss a dose. I still don’t quite understand the instructions for missed dose, other than never to double up.

What I believe I understand, Is that it should be 22 hours apart preferably 24.

is that it should be 22 hours apart preferably 24.

I also understand that the common answer because it’s also probably the simplest is simply if you’re beyond two hours of your time to skip it and resume your normal time of the next day/dose.

However, sometimes I have skipped it. Other times, for example yesterday and I have done something similar to this before but perhaps not quite the four hours that was yesterday. here’s the scenario:

my normal time is 4 PM I missed it yesterday and took it at a few minutes after 8 PM but not as late as 830. so at least four hours late. I should have skipped it but I did not. I took it immediately a few minutes after 8 PM.

The way I adjust when something like that happens which it has occasionally, is I will take it the next day which in this scenario above means today, within two hours earlier of the late time I took it. So today I took it at 6:30 PM. Tomorrow I will take it at 5:30 PM. The day after tomorrow I will resume my 4 PM schedule.

Do you understand my logic there, what I’m going for there? i’m kind of using the two hours/22 hr guideline i was given. 

I suppose I could extrapolate that out into a dismissed even by more/longer hours, well it’s kind of a hassle and I wouldn’t really recommend it as what I understand you’re supposed to take it at the same time every day. And I would not of course recommend or I should say I personally would skip it if it was more than four hours past time. I think actually this is the only time I’ve done that meeting the only time I was four hours out I may have been three once before and from what I understand two hours on either side early or late is acceptable.

what do you guys know about this? That I may doing wrong or right?

Thank you

Some times I forget to take my pill and I remember it after 3-4 hours. I take it!! I don't skip it.... But if you remember that you have not taken your pill after 12 hours in that occcasion skip it.when I forget to take the pill and take it later the next day I do not change then time.... If this happens once in two week it is not gonna be a promblem
Put an alarm to remember it or take it when you do something every day e. g. after lunch...

Hi,

So called medication adherence is a substantial issue;WHO suggests that in the developed world up to 50% of patients fail to follow the treatment regime as prescribed.My haematologist suggested that up to 40% of patients fail to follow the instructions ;whether this be in general or for tkis I dont know.

Apparently those of us on tkis should not miss more than three days per month and the ideal is to strictly adhere so that blood plasma levels of the drug are constant.On might bear in mind that different tkis have longer half lives than others and Sprycel/dasatinib is quite a bit shorter than that for imatinib..

There are various aids and mechanisms including apps to ensure that we never miss a dose.In my case with imatinib I need to take it with certain types of food and of course water otherwise I get a nauseous reaction with headache and the occasional vomiting if taken on an empty stomach.The fasting needed for nilotinib should be a good reminder to take the dose I guess.

Any views?

John

I use an app called Easy Pill that reminds you to take your pills, and will keep harassing you until you tell it you’ve taken it.

Never missed a pill in over 7 years.

https://www.easypilltracker.com

Obviously adherence to the schedule is what we should all be doing.  Same time every day.  Having said that, I am no expert, but your logic seems sound to me.  I can't image that if you were four hours late, it would be better to skip the dose all together.  I would imagine if you took it, and then adjusted your next dose accordingly, it would be far better than skipping it all together.

The Sprycel website says, "If you miss a dose of SPRYCEL, take your next scheduled dose at your regular time. Do not take two doses at the same time."  But it doesn't seem to specify how long a window you have.  Obviously you wouldn't take two doses at once - but four hours late is not the same as taking two doses at once. I am also curious what other people think.

But in the meantime, I am putting that pill reminder on my phone. 

Hi

I also use an app called MyTherapy which reminds me twice a day to take my Nilotinib. Because Nilotinib has strict guidance and can’t be taken with food I have to stick to the schedule so it’s kinda of a forced routine. Occasionally my evening dose gets taken a little later if I am out for a social event that means normally I wouldn’t be able to eat. In 3 years I have only ever not taken one morning dose as I had a bad allergic reaction to hayfever and so I stopped taken all medication to rule out a culprit but I don’t take a double dose as it’s dangerous.

I would say that if you forget to take your Sprycel within a window of a few hours you’d probably be ok to take it and not skip as you want to keep up Plasma levels as John says. But I would never double dose as you know.

The short answer is really don’t miss any doses unless you want to cause eventual resistance and then relapse and we know what that means.

So yeah get an app that reminds you like David and I and then you have no excuses for missing them going forward, but I understand life gets in the way sometimes.

Al

I also use Easy Pill, based on one of your previous posts and love it.  My husband also sets a regular alarm on his phone…. To remind me to take my meds.  I also put one dose in an old bottle in my purse or car in case we are out and won’t be home for a while.  I just don’t want to spend any time stressing about it.  

Easy Pill is great because it records the exact time if you’re late.