You are here

Should I work during this lockdown

I was diagnosed 10 months ago and am healthy and well controlled on Imatinib. I haven’t worked since Mid March but would like to return. I cannot possibly keep 2 m away from people as I am an optometrist. Now that there is ppe including goggles I think I should be ok to return . Any one got any advice or any other healthcare professionals out there still working? 
thanks Judith

If you are in the UK you are in the high risk group which says we must shield for min 3 months (Although medically we are at no greater risk weve just been put in that group because we have Leukemia not CML perse). Meaning an employer wouldn't allow you to return for risk of becoming ill. I am working but from home but it depends on your type of work. I am a programmer so it's possible.

Hi I've been diagnosed 18 months now and I'm self employed as a motorcycle mechanic. I've had no choice but to go to work during this lockdown even if it's just to sit in an empty workshop. The reason for this, is that I've got a neighbour that has made mine and my family's lives hell. After she'd found out that I'd been diagnosed ( a year after my brother had died of leukaemia, I may add ) she said to my face "I hope you hurry up and die of cancer". Her entertainment is making as much noise as possible by stamping on her floor (my ceiling) all day, playing loud music and encouraging her son to make as much noise as he can. Lockdown is my worst nightmare, so even though I'm putting my health at risk, I'm going out to save my sanity.

That’s terrible. I am sorry to hear that.
I’ve just had another letter saying shield till July 24 ! It’s not from my consultant so I’m going to try and get in touch with him and have a chat. I too am self employed and not sure the bank balance will cope with not working till then. 

I am a nurse anesthetist in a relatively hard hit area and working on the front lines. I have intubated many patients with COVID. I haven’t taken any time off. Granted, I always have full PPE with a N95 and a PAPR and I am obsessive about cleaning, showering, etc. 

My other half has CML and received the NHS letter but he's still working. He's been in MMR for eight years with a BRC-ABL of 0.001% and when we spoke to his consultant she said he was low risk and therefore it was his judgement call whether to work or not. I think if you're newly diagnosed, you should probably be more cautious, but see what your consultant says.