You are here

Vitamin E with Sprycel

Hi every one!
I know that (a tocopherol) in small amounts like an antioxidant in food is no promblem but what if I take Vitamim E as a supplement?
I have IBS syndrome and I can not it enough food rich in antioxidants(like vegetables, nuts etc) So I wonder if I can take take vitamin E. Has anyone taken Vitamin E?

Hi, yes I take 400 iu Vit E,10-12,000 iu D3 (with K2), 200mcg Selenium, Vit B complex, niacinamide (non-flush B3) plus 10-20 grams ascorbate (Vit C powder in divided doses) and also a formulation of essential amino acids. 

Sandy

Hi Sandy thank for you reply!
Maybe I am wrong but I think you take gleevec. Is it safe to take vitamin E with Sprycel?

Hi, 

I am sure there is no contraindications between TKI's and natural supplements like Vit E.  Vitamin supplementation is one way of making sure we get essential nutrients that may be missing from our diet.. i.e the vitamin and mineral content of our food is know to be sub-optimal owing to modern farming methods and production etc. 

To be clear, I was treated with imatinib originally via a clinical trial (August 1999 in Portland OR) but after 2 years or so I showed some resistance and had to take the only option open to me at that time (dasatinib was not yet available) and go forward with an allogenic SCT in October 2003.

As it was a reduced intensity transplant, I was treated with 400mg imatinib post transplant for 12 months. This was to ensure any residual disease was controlled until I was far enough away from the actual SCT that I would not develop acute GVHD when the planned DLI (donor lymphocyte infusions) were given in order to finally deal with the very small amount of residual disease.

After stopping imatinib, I was monitored by PCR and after a further 14 months, results showed that BCR-ABL% was rising as expected so I had 4 DLI's in total before BCR-ABL% became undetectable.

That was in early 2006 and since then I have maintained TFR with PCR results consistently at or below 0.0001%.... my hospital lab has a very sensitive PCR method so will find low levels of BCR-ABL in most people!

Do not worry too much about Vit/Minerals and TKI contraindications... just make sure you supplement your diet as you feel you need to. 

Sandy

I read somewhere that high doses of intioxidants reduce the effectiveness of tki..is that right? What dose of vitamin E would you suggest Sandy?

Sandy noted above she takes 400 IU's vitamin E. I just eat almonds which are loaded with vitamin E.

I saw it Scuba but Sandy is on TFR from 2006...that's why i am asking!

https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/VitaminE-HealthProfessional/

I tend to rely on food for vitamin E and do not use vitamin E supplements. I rely on other anti-oxidants such as quercetin, curcumin and similar for anti-oxidants. Excess vitamin E in men may have adverse effects (see link above). In my view, taking supplements should be done when a deficiency is likely through diet or to achieve some other goal. This is why I take vitamin D, K2, magnesium - because normal diet is very deficient in these. Vitamin E, however, is not an issue if one likes eating nuts - so no need to supplement.

So Scuba e. g. If I take big amounds of natural turmeric or curcumin as a supplement has the same antioxidant effect with vitamin E? I can not eat lots of vegetables or nuts because I have ibs... So I can not take enough vitamin E with food....

I would not know if they have the same antioxidant effect, but if you have a diet rich in antioxidants overall (more than one kind) you will be fine:

https://www.uspharmacist.com/article/natural-powerful-antioxidants

Vitamin C, for example, is a strong antioxidant as is curucmin, CoQ10, Alpha-lipoic acid (ALA).

I might add that I have become a fan of ALA ever since I discovered it reduces aldehyde formation after over indulging in wine (red wine headache). I have not had a red wine headache since and I drink plenty of red wine (which is also an antioxidant due to polyphenols (resveratrol)).

I take very little sprycel and I eat plenty of almonds (vitamin E) as well as other antioxidants. Low dose sprycel worked very well, so I suspect any limiting interaction is minor at best. Just separate when you take vitamin E and when you take your sprycel by several hours - one in the morning the other at night for a maximum spread if you are concerned.

I take Sprycel 7:30 in the morning and i take vitamin E after my lunch at about 14:00...I think it 's OK...
Thank you both for your time! Your answers were very help ful!!

I wouldn't advise you to do that. I think it can cause your body to overflow with all sorts of toxins, which will negatively affect your health. You can get intoxicated from mixing these substances. And if you don't listen to me and get intoxicated, I advise you to stock up on a body cleanser. For example, I use chaga mushroom. This mushroom has an extensive list of beneficial effects on the human body. But in our situation, what we need from it is that it improves the outflow of bile and the work of the excretory system and promotes the purification of toxins and harmful substances.